[SOLVED] Should I downgrade from ryzen 1700 to 1600x for more gaming performance?

dawgx

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I play fortnite competitively but when i look at a view with alot of objects like trees and locations with alot of buildings my framerate drops to like 70-90 and that doesnt look good in 144hz so my question is if I should downgrade to 1600x and overclock it for more clock speed

Solution
If you could tell us the exact part number of your RAM we could get an idea if it could overclock. It wouldn't be too difficult to get at least 2800MHz out of it. Then invest in a solid aftermarket cooler and you will be getting the absolute most of your system. THEN you can upgrade if you need to, and by that time Ryzen 3000 will be out and hopefully it is worth the upgrade.

dawgx

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

mine is currently overclocked to 3.6 using stock cooler, i chose 1600x because i cannot upgrade currently

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have had a continual issue with my 1700 and mobo combo consistently giving me poor performance on graphics in relation to an OC. I suggest you look at doing away with the OC and turning up setting to see what you get. In my case it was particularly blatant for Ashes of the Singularity and Wildlands. I was having to cut graphics quality, turn off AA, etc. until I returned to stock clock and was able to max everything. Strange.

I know my 2700X doesn't particularly do that well from an OC either and runs overly hot and is not that stable. At stock it can boost to 4.35GHz (single-core) with my liquid cooler. I think buying a good cooler should help increase stock turbo or if you are overclocking.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I my particular case, it was over a variety of clock speeds and voltages when trying to get over 3.2ghz. I think it comes down to mobo choice in my instance, but could be silicone lottery. I even tried with a tower cooler...it was no Bueno. I still get really good perf without the OC and am waiting to see the reality of 3xxx to decide if I will bother to upgrade yet.

dawgx

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

i dont think my ram is overclockable

Almost all RAM is overclockable at least a little bit; however, I think he meant buying new RAM that is rated for 3200MHz.

dawgx

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

i dont have money for ram unfortunately

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
It is your RAM speed. Get 3200, I use Flare-X and it's been stable since day 1 in May 2017. Regardless of what CPU you get, your current RAM will hold you back. New RAM may be costly, but money on a new CPU will be mostly pointless with 2400 RAM.

If you could tell us the exact part number of your RAM we could get an idea if it could overclock. It wouldn't be too difficult to get at least 2800MHz out of it. Then invest in a solid aftermarket cooler and you will be getting the absolute most of your system. THEN you can upgrade if you need to, and by that time Ryzen 3000 will be out and hopefully it is worth the upgrade.

Solution