Question Should I downgrade GPU?

Jun 28, 2022
This Might sound dumb but just trying to find out all my options if I end up having to get new GPU. Pretty sure GPU is toast.

I have 2080 super and was going to get 3080 but from what I saw online it wouldn't really be much of an upgrade for my setup because of resolution and maybe CPU bottleneck.

SPECS: Z390 Phantom gaming 4s-ib motherboard
Intel I7 9700K CPU
RTX 2080 Super
Seasonic GX Focus Gold 750 watt PSU
2x8 GB RAM sticks
1TB Hardrive
480 GB SSD

I have 240 HZ 1080p monitor and only play 1080p. Don't wont higher resolution.

Question is do I actually need to upgrade to 3080 to play 1080p or would that be waste of money?

I was browsing Amazon and Newegg and saw you can get brand new 3070's for $525-$575. The 3070 is almost identical to 2080 Super in User Benchmark actually a little better

So since I'm only playing 1080p do I actually need 3080? I liked the performance of the 2080super so would it be better just to get the 3070 instead of 3080 and save $200?

I don't really need upgrade, The 2080super ran perfect for 2 years till now but it's toast. It still runs good but keeps randomly crashing in games and during GPU stress tests. I think it is connection issue inside GPU somewhere and am tired of dealing with it. I pass CPU tests and Memtest86 with no crashes, and got new PSU but it crashes during games and GPU stress tests so I know it has to be GPU. Also Uninstalled and reinstalled and updated all driver's. Also cleaned motherboard and reseated everything but still crashes in games and GPU stress tests.

Only thing left to do is get new GPU so just want to make sure I get the right one for what I am using it for. I am going to try taking it apart and inspecting and cleaning it and connections and putting new paste to see if it changes anything before I buy new one but have my doubts.

Jun 28, 2022
I don't know what RMA means. guessing means return. The pc was Pre-bulit gaming pc from bestbuy that only had 1 year warranty. I've had over 2 years now.

I was getting tired of console lag and loading times and didn't know anything about PC's when I bought it so I bought a pre-built and it has worked fine till now.

It does say on the box lifetime technical support but I know its not under warranty. Also the GPU fans on the card always has made annoying grinding noise since I bought it so I have kind of had it with the card.

The grinding GPU fan noise only happens when not under load when it is idle or just browsing web. If the GPU fans go below 30 % the grinding noise starts so I have to always have MSI Afterburner open to keep the fan speed set to minimal 40% but it fixes it.

I don't know what RMA means. guessing means return. The pc was Pre-bulit gaming pc from bestbuy that only had 1 year warranty. I've had over 2 years now.

I was getting tired of console lag and loading times and didn't know anything about PC's when I bought it so I bought a pre-built and it has worked fine till now.

It does say on the box lifetime technical support but I know its not under warranty. Also the GPU fans on the card always has made annoying grinding noise since I bought it so I have kind of had it with the card.

The grinding GPU fan noise only happens when not under load when it is idle or just browsing web. If the GPU fans go below 30 % the grinding noise starts so I have to always have MSI Afterburner open to keep the fan speed set to minimal 40% but it fixes it.
Yes, RMA is return. So, Bestbuy is the assembler, but the parts are from original manufacturers, which usually comes with a standard 3yr warranty on most parts. I am not entirely sure how the equation works through these vendors, but you should still be able to RMA the card from the manufacturer by sending it directly. Bestbuy also sends it to manufacturer for repair or return, they don't fix it themselves. I would suggest that you talk to both Bestbuy and the manufacturer (Asus/Gigabyte/EVGA/etc.), whichever it is and they should be able to guide you, how to go about it. Atleast, they should be able to tell you if its repairable or not.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, RMA is return. So, Bestbuy is the assembler, but the parts are from original manufacturers, which usually comes with a standard 3yr warranty on most parts. I am not entirely sure how the equation works through these vendors, but you should still be able to RMA the card from the manufacturer by sending it directly. Bestbuy also sends it to manufacturer for repair or return, they don't fix it themselves. I would suggest that you talk to both Bestbuy and the manufacturer (Asus/Gigabyte/EVGA/etc.), whichever it is and they should be able to guide you, how to go about it. Atleast, they should be able to tell you if its repairable or not.
With something from BestBuy, their warranty is the only thing that counts.
You can't send the individual device back.