[SOLVED] Should I downgrade my GPU to be on par with my CPU?

Apr 6, 2019
So this is my current setup.
Ryzen 1300x
GTX 970
8GB 2666
Asrock motherboard
650W PSU.
While playing any modern game, I get horrible performance, below 60 FPS in games like R6S, BF5 and BO4 on all low. I have noticed my temperatures seem normal, but in these games my CPU is at 100% load and my GPU around 50-60%, so is my GPU too powerful for my CPU to keep up?
Should I downgrade to something like a 570 or a 1050, and would it give better performance? I am at a loss as of what to do right now, I have tried a lot to get better performance.

Solution
So do you think a CPU upgrade is in line? Or could I possibly just OC my 1300x
You will want a RAM upgrade either way. I would do the RAM upgrade, OC your cpu and see how it performs. If you do decide you want a cpu upgrade then probably best to wait a few months until 3rd generation Ryzen releases.
Moving to a lower-end graphics card wouldn't likely help anything. It's also worth pointing out that on average, an RX 570 should perform about the same as a GTX 970, so it's not even a lower-end graphics card...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_570_Pulse/30.html

Is that "8GB 2666" a single stick of RAM, or two 4GB sticks running in dual-channel mode? Ryzen tends to depend a bit more on RAM performance to get the most out of it, and dual channel helps with that. You might also want to verify that the RAM is set to run at 2666 (or possibly overclocked a bit higher) and that it isn't set to 2133 or something.

Apr 6, 2019
Moving to a lower-end graphics card wouldn't likely help anything. It's also worth pointing out that on average, an RX 570 should perform about the same as a GTX 970, so it's not even a lower-end graphics card...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_570_Pulse/30.html

Is that "8GB 2666" a single stick of RAM, or two 4GB sticks running in dual-channel mode? Ryzen tends to depend a bit more on RAM performance to get the most out of it, and dual channel helps with that. You might also want to verify that the RAM is set to run at 2666 (or possibly overclocked a bit higher) and that it isn't set to 2133 or something.
Yes, the stick is in single channel mode with 1x8GB, and it turns out it is downclocked to 2133

Yes, the stick is in single channel mode with 1x8GB, and it turns out it is downclocked to 2133
This is not helping, with Ryzen you want dual channel and faster RAM to get the most from the cpu. With Ryzen cpu performance is materially impacted by RAM performance.

Also for BO4 and BF5 you want 16gb. 8gb will cause extra work for the cpu as it will have to cache to the main drive.

What motherboard do you have?

Apr 6, 2019
This is not helping, with Ryzen you want dual channel and faster RAM to get the most from the cpu. With Ryzen cpu performance is materially impacted by RAM performance.

Also for BO4 and BF5 you want 16gb. 8gb will cause extra work for the cpu as it will have to cache to the main drive.

What motherboard do you have?
I have the Asrock A320M-hdv
I also enabled the XMP profile so I am now at 2666

I have the Asrock A320M-hdv
I also enabled the XMP profile so I am now at 2666
See if that helps but your still only running single channel and bare minimum amount of RAM for those games. If you are still having issues then I would buy a 2x8gb kit of 3000mhz.

Buying a second stick of the RAM you already have is not advised. Mixing RAM bought separately always has a risk of issues and first generation Ryzen was very picky about RAM.

Sorry I was mixing up the 1300x and 1400. I thought the 1300x was the 8 thread version but it is not. Hmmm those games will always be limited on a 4 thread cpu. The RAM definitely is not helping but the cpu will probably limit how much of an improvement you get from a RAM upgrade.

Apr 6, 2019
Sorry I was mixing up the 1300x and 1400. I thought the 1300x was the 8 thread version but it is not. Hmmm those games will always be limited on a 4 thread cpu. The RAM definitely is not helping but the cpu will probably limit how much of an improvement you get from a RAM upgrade.
So do you think a CPU upgrade is in line? Or could I possibly just OC my 1300x

Apr 6, 2019
You will want a RAM upgrade either way. I would do the RAM upgrade, OC your cpu and see how it performs. If you do decide you want a cpu upgrade then probably best to wait a few months until 3rd generation Ryzen releases.
I would love to OC my CPU, but unfortunately my BIOS doesn't even have the option, so my plan is to get a better board, upgrade my RAM and then try overclocking it to see if that helps.