Should I downgrade to Windows 7 for gaming?

RaRWolf

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I have had Windows 8 for a while now (Almost a year) And I quite like the Metro style. I use the computer mainly for gaming, but I also do a ton of web browsing. So I was wondering: Is it worth it to downgrade? Is there any difference in actual game performance, what games can run on it, or any changes in web and file speed?

Thanks for your time :D, RaRWolf

Solution

Not at all. Microsoft avoided making any large structural changes between Vista, 7, and 8 that they couldn't correct with some compatibility layers. This is in strong contrast to the massive changes between Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Windows 8 runs great, and the new driver APIs make it much cleaner than Windows 7.

The only reason for anyone to downgrade to Windows 7 is...

Not at all. Microsoft avoided making any large structural changes between Vista, 7, and 8 that they couldn't correct with some compatibility layers. This is in strong contrast to the massive changes between Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Windows 8 runs great, and the new driver APIs make it much cleaner than Windows 7.

The only reason for anyone to downgrade to Windows 7 is if they're using some very specific design software which uses incompatible memory management libraries, or if they're too dull to install a Start Menu replacement.

Solution

Rick_09

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
" The only reason for anyone to downgrade to Windows 7 is if they're using some very specific design software which uses incompatible memory management libraries, or if they're too dull to install a Start Menu replacement."

... or they simply don't like the new UI. Heck, just checking Newegg shows that Windows 8 just doesn't sell and has poor reviews. Personally I think it's been a disaster...

To answer the OP, downgrading or not depends on what your requirements and preferences are. If you like Win 8 and it works with the games you play/programs you use, then there's no reason to downgrade. I mean, if you already have the OS why spend more money?

However, if you didn't like Win 8 and/or you had problems running the games you play, then it would probably be better to downgrade.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

As mentioned, UI was not the problem.

Out of the 15 or so games I installed when I got 8, Fallout 3 was the only one with a known compatibility issue (and even then it was apparently only for some people). I haven't gotten around to playing the game yet but it wouldnt surprise me if it worked (and I believe I heard about a fix for any possible issues with it)

Otherwise, I don't even notice that I've switched while playing games

Fallout 3 is a Windows Vista game, and has issues even on Windows 7

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
No way. I upgraded then downgraded then upgraded again and my vote is go with Windows 8.1 (8) for no other reason than future support will go toward the newer OS and all future games will likely be designed on computers running this OS. Any marginal difference you see now will surely be widened in the future as W8 gets better optimized and although there is a certain 'learning curve' to get up to speed with the new Windows, once you do I am certain you will be happy. Worse comes to worse you can stay in desktop mode all day and its basically Windows 7. Do it!!!

but to your original question, for gaming, go with the new OS I get great performance from mine

Bavvh

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

This here. I've had 0 issues from it, and it actually seems a bit faster than 7. IMO, stick with 8.

TRENDING THREADS