[SOLVED] Should I enable PBO on my r7 3700x?

Feb 22, 2020
How much performance can be gained by enabling the PBO on r7 3700x as compared to the stock r7 3700x, and according to you would It be worth to enable it?

Solution
How much performance can be gained by enabling the PBO on r7 3700x as compared to the stock r7 3700x, and according to you would It be worth to enable it?
I enabled PBO and once I got it 'tweaked' it does improve performance, as measured with Cinebench.

Without PBO CB20 MT scores in the 4960-4990 range, ST scores 490. After enabling and tweaking for what's known as the 'EDC=0' bug mine scores reliably 5135-5155 and 511. That means my 3700X is running close to a 3800X that's not running a tweaked PBO.

As far as how it 'feels' in actual use...hard to tell the difference to be honest. But that says more about the performance level of even base Ryzen 3000 :) However small, it's free performance just sitting there and (if...
I enabled PBO and once I got it 'tweaked' it does improve performance, as measured with Cinebench.

Without PBO CB20 MT scores in the 4960-4990 range, ST scores 490. After enabling and tweaking for what's known as the 'EDC=0' bug mine scores reliably 5135-5155 and 511. That means my 3700X is running close to a 3800X that's not running a tweaked PBO.

As far as how it 'feels' in actual use...hard to tell the difference to be honest. But that says more about the performance level of even base Ryzen 3000 :) However small, it's free performance just sitting there and (if done right) is perfectly safe. The processor is still controlling both voltage and clock frequency according to it's FIT tables to keep temperature in the safe range for the CPU.

Properly, PBO isn't overclocking the CPU but over-riding the safety features available to protect weak motherboard VRM's. But since no motherboard mfr seems to set them up in the BIOS' for their boards it runs at defaults that assume VRM's are the weakest possible which none really are.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS