[SOLVED] Should I feel bad not buying the 2600?

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
So about a month ago, I bought the 2600 for 120£. However now, I realised the 2700 is 130£ from amazon where I am buying it. Last time it was around 160£ and I didn't dish out any more money as I looked on comparisions and the 2600 is a little bit better. But now I feel really terrible and feel like the 2600 is worthless. Especially that Im buying a RTX2060 very soon. Please let me know if I shouldn't worry or about the differences. It has +2 more cores the 2700 which makes me upset and it would be pointless spending and selling all the time but its such a minor upgrade from a 2600 -> 2700.

Solution
Current games and most applications won't really make use of those extra cores, so I wouldn't be too concerned. At stock clocks, the 2600 tends to boost a little higher when presented with multi-core workloads, which can offer slightly better performance in some of today's games. Overclocked, they will both perform rather similar at most tasks. It's certainly possible that future games down the line will better utilize the additional cores of the 2700, but currently they don't provide much benefit for most tasks. By the time those cores are getting better utilized, you could probably get an 8-core Ryzen 3000 CPU for about that cost, so I wouldn't bother with switching to a 2700 now unless you have some particular workload that you...
For gaming there will be little to no difference. Now if you plan on streaming and gaming or doing other tasklis like video/photo work then yeah the 2700 might be better.

Now saying that, don't waste you money on a 2700 now unless its a very very good deal where you can sell your 2600 and pay most of teh cost of the 2700 with it

However what I would do is make sure your BIOS (if it hasnt been) is up to date and save up and get a Ryzen 3700

Current games and most applications won't really make use of those extra cores, so I wouldn't be too concerned. At stock clocks, the 2600 tends to boost a little higher when presented with multi-core workloads, which can offer slightly better performance in some of today's games. Overclocked, they will both perform rather similar at most tasks. It's certainly possible that future games down the line will better utilize the additional cores of the 2700, but currently they don't provide much benefit for most tasks. By the time those cores are getting better utilized, you could probably get an 8-core Ryzen 3000 CPU for about that cost, so I wouldn't bother with switching to a 2700 now unless you have some particular workload that you know can utilize them right away.

Solution

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
For gaming there will be little to no difference. Now if you plan on streaming and gaming or doing other tasklis like video/photo work then yeah the 2700 might be better.

Now saying that, don't waste you money on a 2700 now unless its a very very good deal where you can sell your 2600 and pay most of teh cost of the 2700 with it

However what I would do is make sure your BIOS (if it hasnt been) is up to date and save up and get a Ryzen 3700

Most likely I will stick to gaming. I do a tiny bit of rendering and game work but only for my own fun and projects/assignments. Plus I would rather use the moneyfor a 3tb HDD and a better PSU because I am limited to a CX450 and a 1tb HDD filled to the brim with games.

Most likely I will stick to gaming. I do a tiny bit of rendering and game work but only for my own fun and projects/assignments. Plus I would rather use the moneyfor a 3tb HDD and a better PSU because I am limited to a CX450 and a 1tb HDD filled to the brim with games.

You can find used HDDs drives very cheap these days. I wouldn't use them as main backup but for gaming drives they work just fine, just stick to drives that are a couple years old. You could probably even buy 3 or 4 used drives for the cost 1 or 2 new ones. You can also find new and used SSDs pretty cheap, and given that most people dont write over drives that often from normal usage the used SSD health is pretty good usuauly.

The CX450 isnt a bad PSU, pretty good budget one, but being only 450 will limit what GPU you can use, max GPU I would say you could safely use would be a GTX1660 Super

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Current games and most applications won't really make use of those extra cores, so I wouldn't be too concerned. At stock clocks, the 2600 tends to boost a little higher when presented with multi-core workloads, which can offer slightly better performance in some of today's games. Overclocked, they will both perform rather similar at most tasks. It's certainly possible that future games down the line will better utilize the additional cores of the 2700, but currently they don't provide much benefit for most tasks. By the time those cores are getting better utilized, you could probably get an 8-core Ryzen 3000 CPU for about that cost, so I wouldn't bother with switching to a 2700 now unless you have some particular workload that you know can utilize them right away.

Ok thanks, I will probably in a year or two when games are advanced, upgrade to Ryzen 9 but not now. I am just using my computer for gaming and work/game making but only using unity etc.

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
You can find used HDDs drives very cheap these days. I wouldn't use them as main backup but for gaming drives they work just fine, just stick to drives that are a couple years old. You could probably even buy 3 or 4 used drives for the cost 1 or 2 new ones. You can also find new and used SSDs pretty cheap, and given that most people dont write over drives that often from normal usage the used SSD health is pretty good usuauly.
Yes im using an SSD for my windows and very slow loading games. However its 250gb and im going to upgrade that to 500GB. The HDD stores all my games and its filled to 900GB and im planning on getting a larger one. Preferably 3tb