[SOLVED] Should I finally pull the trigger on an APU build?

sleepyskies

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
I've been thinking about doing a small form factor APU build for probably 3 years now if not longer. Kept coming up with excuses for waiting and starting to think I should just pull the trigger. I hate how high RAM prices are now. Years back you could get 2x8GB for around $50 on a deal if I recall correctly. Last time I was really active on this site the 2500K + 560ti was the usual build recommendation lol.

This won't replace my current desktop I built around five years ago but just for some background information:
Intel i5-3350P CPU
240GB SSD [prices have come down on these thankfully]
RX 480 [First this build had a 6850]
2x4GB RAM [this is a pain honestly]

Possible build:
Inwin Chopin Case [Picked one up for $39.99, built in PSU]
AMD 2400G + Mini-ITX Motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200
500GB SSD

After AMD didn't announce anything regarding the next iteration of their APU line, I'm kind of thinking I should just finally do this build. The next APUs should still be AM4 so I can just swap the CPU down the line if the next iteration is everything it is hyped up to be. Opinions?

[Huh. Could of swore I was posting this in the New Builds forum. Oh well]

Solution
The problem with a cheap psu is not that it might not work.
The problem is that a cheap psu will not have the protective circuitry to keep from damaging your other parts if it should fail under load.

I think Antec might be the only case I would buy with an included psu.

sleepyskies

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019

That would be the case yes.

Yeah I know what you mean. My current build currently has a Rosewill Tachyon 1000W Platinum PSU, but that is just an old carryover from one of my mining rigs back in the day. The Inwin Chopin has decent reviews and the fact is the system will only be powering the listed components with no OC so I think the PSU will hold out.

The problem with a cheap psu is not that it might not work.
The problem is that a cheap psu will not have the protective circuitry to keep from damaging your other parts if it should fail under load.

I think Antec might be the only case I would buy with an included psu.

Solution

sleepyskies

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019

I understand. This isn't going to be a PSU used heavily though nor for more than two years most likely. The PSU is 80+ Bronze Certified [while not great] is better than a lot of crap built into systems. I haven't seen many people reporting the PSU crapping out in the Chopin.

sleepyskies

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019

Okay then.

Any opinions to offer on these parts here, anyone?
83eOnAO.png