Question Should I flash my BIOS or update it to be compatible for a 13th Gen Intel CPU? (MSI PRO Z690-A)

awesome_dood_123

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KKYS967?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I got this motherboard coming in soon and I'm debating on whether to get a i9-12900k or an i9-13900k and updating the BIOS of this MOBO to be compatible with it.
Due to the significant increase in performance between the two, I've been considering going with 13th Gen and updating the BIOS, but I'm curious if it's worth to do so or if it's risky and shouldn't be bothered with. Haven't seen much on people having problems updating it and bricking it, but also haven't seen a lot of people confirming their success with it.
Would appreciate some insight, thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Haven't seen much on people having problems updating it and bricking it, but also haven't seen a lot of people confirming their success with it.
That's a coin toss actually. There have been people who eventually had to RMA the board when a BIOS flash went sideways. It's also stated in the manual of practically every motherboard that BIOS updating has potential risks on not being successful though you're advised not to shut the power off to avoid a man made err. Regardless, since the board has a BIOS flash option without needing to have the board powered up and running(as you needed to in the past), you can try the feature out.

Just an FYI, I wouldn't pair that motherboard with either of the processors listed above. I'd look into a higher pedigree motherboard with a beefy(better quality) VRM design.