Question should i format my C drive when switching from intel cpu to amd??

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
Hey so, i was just wanting to upgrade my i5 10400 cpu for a ryzen 5 5600 and i dont know if i should format only the C drive of my pc, where windows is install or all the others too. I currently have 4 drives, 2 hard drives (D and E drives) and 2 ssds (C and G drives). I will leave all the system specs at the end of the post but to be clear the D drive is for games and university things only, the E drive is for downloads, C is the system obviously and G where i store more games. thank you in advance.
System Specs:
CPU: i5-10400 with id cooling se-224 xt
Motherboard: Rog Strix B460-H gaming.
GPU: amd radeon rx5600xt saphire pulse.
PSU: (not sure about the exact model, becouse i bought it like 5 years ago and still works fine) XFX 650w 80 plus bronce.
Ram (16gb): patriot viper steel 2x8gb 3600mhz (runing at 2666mhz).
Case: NZXT S340 White.
Storage: C: patriot 256gb ssd
D: 1tb western digital blue hard drive
E: 500 gb western digital blue hard drive.
G: 1tb ssd

Oh and in case you wander, i want to replace my i5 for the ryzen procesor and my b460 for a asrock b550m pro motherboard to get more performance in games.

USAFRet

Titan
Platform change == full OS reinstall.
This includes all your applications.

Games on the Steam platform don't need to be reinstalled.
You simply tell the NEW Steam client where they live on the other drive. Other platforms have similar functionality.

All your other drives are physically disconnected during this install, so they do not need to be reformatted.

Reactions: CountMike