[SOLVED] Should I fresh install or clone my boot drive hdd to my new m.2 ssd?

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
So i just bought a Crucial p1 nvme ssd 500Gb and want to use it as the boot drive.
should i just fresh install windows onto the new ssd and move whatever files off the old boot drive and reformat it.
or use the included cloning software

my system rn has 2 hard drives
the boot hdd is 1tb and i have only used about 430gb on it

btw my current windows install has a tendency upon booting to the lockscreen to show some default lake/mountain windows wallpaper

Solution
So i just bought a Crucial p1 nvme ssd 500Gb and want to use it as the boot drive.
should i just fresh install windows onto the new ssd and move whatever files off the old boot drive and reformat it.

btw my current windows install has a tendency upon booting to the lockscreen to show some default lake/mountain windows wallpaper
better clean install it
it'll be faster than old HDD
save you from gibberish trouble in the future

430 GB would be too much for 500BG system drive so unless you can get rid of another 50 or so GB from HDD i'd suggest new, clean windows installation.
"btw my current windows install has a tendency upon booting to the lockscreen to show some default lake/mountain windows wallpaper" That's normal.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
430 GB would be too much for 500BG system drive so unless you can get rid of another 50 or so GB from HDD i'd suggest new, clean windows installation.
"btw my current windows install has a tendency upon booting to the lockscreen to show some default lake/mountain windows wallpaper" That's normal.
Normal? I mean it shows it like only sometimes

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019

better clean install it
it'll be faster than old HDD
save you from gibberish trouble in the future

Solution