Should I get 120hz monitor or stay with 60hz?

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I am finally building a new computer to replace my old one because I would like to do some gaming. I am using my old monitor which I thought wasnt that bad but now that I have been researching more about them I am starting to wonder if I should get a new one. Its the HP 2010i and its 60hz but I dont know if its good for gaming according to what I have been reading on the internet. I am going to have to stick with the monitor for now as I am broke from building my new computer but I was wondering if I should get a 120hz or 144hz monitor in the future. I have been reading that even though you get a 120hz or 144hz monitor it wont make a difference unless your graphics card is powerful enough to achieve that kind of FPS. Would the r9 280 be able to do 1080p gaming on a 120hz monitor and make a difference from the 60hz monitor or would I have to get another r9 280? I dont want to end up blowing my money on a 120 or 144hz monitor to find out that it doesnt make a difference or I have to blow even more money to make my computer more powerful. Sorry I am such a noob.

Solution
It really doesn't matter unless your thinking of getting a higher resolution monitor. I use HDMI and it works fine as well as the dvi. HDMI is the most commonly used and it is easiest to connect so I would probably go with that. But it doesn't really make any difference what port it goes into.

Hazinator

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Hi there,
I personally don't have a 120hz monitor, just because my graphics card cant get good frame rates on ultra settings. If there is under £50/$80 difference between them, go for the 120hz monitor. Hz is refresh rate and human beings can see in 60 frames so you wont notice a huge difference between a 60hz monitor and a 120hz monitor. For me to tell you some more information, could you tell me the price of the monitors if that's possible?

Hazinator

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I'm going to agree with Anthony now for other reasons now. I would upgrade as your monitor is only 20" and its 1600x900. You need to upgrade it to a full HD monitor for best resolution. A 120hz monitor would be good for gaming as it would be smoother. I would upgrade to a monitor about 24-32" 1920x1080 full HD monitor 120hz. Tell me if you want me to find a good monitor for you to a price provided. I hope this helped...

biggz54

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Personally I would stay with 60hz being that 120hz is much more expensive and would only yield a small difference, but also try looking at response rating (ms) if you want to have the least amount of input lag as possible try going for a monitor with at most 5ms. As for the performance of your amd graphics card i have no idea, i am a strict nividia user.

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

As I said above I am currently out of money so I will have to stay with the monitor I have now but it would be awesome if you could find one somewhere between 175$ and 275$ if thats possible because I would like to get more into PC gaming. Would my graphics card be able to handle a size monitor like that at 1920x1080 at 120hz?

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Whats the best connection to connect it to my GPU, HDMI, dual DVI-D, or Displayport? Any preference?

Hazinator

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
It really doesn't matter unless your thinking of getting a higher resolution monitor. I use HDMI and it works fine as well as the dvi. HDMI is the most commonly used and it is easiest to connect so I would probably go with that. But it doesn't really make any difference what port it goes into.

Solution