Question Should I get 2 x 8GB sticks or 4 x 8GB sticks ?

Aug 8, 2024
Hello, is it better to go for 2 x 8GB or 4 x 8GB RAM sticks for a B550 motherboard with a Ryzen 5600X CPU ? Does it ruin anything going for 4 x 8GB RAM sticks or doesn't it matter ?

This is for a gaming.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
16gb is usually the standard and enough for gaming when it come to ram ..

32gb is better for head room and i guess to fill all 4 ram slots on the ATX board but 16gb is really enough ..

i would recommend 3600 cl 16 being the best for price and performance 3600 cl 14 is the best of the best but its expensive and would be crazy hard to find now for little gains ..

AMD AM4 cpu's like tight timings rather than fast ram

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends if want less hassles with XMP, you run only two. Sure, can run four sticks but Amd being temperamental about ram there is a chance you'll have a difficult time of it and run slower. Better off with 2x 16GB so you don't need to think about ram on this platform ever. By the time 32gb isn't enough you'll be on a different platform.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Depends if want less hassles with XMP, you run only two. Sure, can run four sticks but Amd being temperamental about ram there is a chance you'll have a difficult time of it and run slower. Better off with 2x 16GB so you don't need to think about ram on this platform ever. By the time 32gb isn't enough you'll be on a different platform.
its funny that ive heard how temperamental 4 sticks on AM4 was but i even brought 2 sticks of gskill neo rgb 3600 cl16 8gb for my 3700x when i built my first then upgraded with another 2 sticks of 8gb ram a year or so later which is ment to be a BIG no no but no issues at all !!
ive heard you should buy either 2 sticks of 8gb-16gb or what ever or 4 sticks in the same pack to avoid issues