Question Should I get a 12700k or just wait

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Trying to figure out if I should just buy a 12700k to finally upgrade my 8700k which has been showing its age a bit. I do gaming, front and backend web development, and I do penetration testing on and off. Everything besides the gaming I do at a professional level mostly the pen testing and gaming is where my 8700k has been lacking a bit. I was looking around online a bit and it seems like the 13700k will be released on oct 20th but I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not and just how much more performance that would give me I'm not sure. This will most likely turn into a new build since I bought future proof parts like a new case that I really liked, a power supply, and some rgb fans.

If you have a need now, go ahead and buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

A12700K is a very big jump in performance over a 8700K.
Your current DDR4 ram will work just fine; no big benefit from switching to DDR5.

It has been my experience that a new generation from intel brings about a 15% price/performance boost.

Nice, but not that that good.
If you buy now with a lga1700 motherboard, you are not locked out of a future 13th gen upgrade.

Performance, pricing and availability are not known today.
At the highest end, I would expect higher than msrp pricing and perhaps limited availability.

Still, unless your need is urgent, I would wait.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I know what you're saying but the 8700k is still a very viable gaming processor with 6c/12t especially when OC'ed to 5 ghz. I just parted out my own 5900x/ RTX 3080ti system and am using an 8700k myself (it was my backup system) with a RTX 3060ti - waiting until 3-6 months after the 13th gen drop to upgrade.

Last edited: