Should I get a 144hz monitor if I don't run over 100 fps

ethan3048

Commendable
May 21, 2016
I am deciding on whether or not to get a 144hz monitor or a 60hz monitor bc I almost always play overwatch and I run it on ultra high and sit around 70fps always. I currently play on a semi old small screen tv I had laying around and have been wanting to get a monitor. I was wondering if buying a 144hz monitor would be worth it given that I barely break 60fps?

Solution
It's a complicated question.
It also makes the normal DESKTOP more fluid.

Now, if you're gaming at 70FPS specifically then here's the problem. You will either be running VSYNC ON or OFF:
a) VSYNC ON - if you can't output a solid 144FPS you are creating stutter/judder issues

b) VSYNC OFF - this will create screen tear because the GPU output and monitor output are not synched (mixing parts of frames).. sometimes screen tear is MINIMAL but it varies a lot.

So.... ?
Well, if ONLY talking 60Hz vs 144Hz then I'd say go 144Hz but here's another thing you should note... Adaptive HALF VSYNC (or "Dynamic" for AMD GPU's which I did with RadeonPro but might be in the AMD drivers now).

If you enable that for a game the GPU locks to 72FPS (half...

Kenton82

Reputable
My own personal situation was exactly this! I cannot achieve more than 70FPS and i used to have a 60Hz monitor. I have recently bought a second hand 144Hz monitor, and wow, what a difference! The fluidity of everything from the mouse pointer, to the video has improved 1000%... My screen tearing and frame rates in general have had a huge improvement. If you want to get the best out of your current setup, then i would highly recommend getting one!

Also post up your current machine specs to help others to respond more accurately.

This is just my personal view, not a technical one. I'm sure someone else could give you a much more technical answer.

Good luck!
K.

It's a complicated question.
It also makes the normal DESKTOP more fluid.

Now, if you're gaming at 70FPS specifically then here's the problem. You will either be running VSYNC ON or OFF:
a) VSYNC ON - if you can't output a solid 144FPS you are creating stutter/judder issues

b) VSYNC OFF - this will create screen tear because the GPU output and monitor output are not synched (mixing parts of frames).. sometimes screen tear is MINIMAL but it varies a lot.

So.... ?
Well, if ONLY talking 60Hz vs 144Hz then I'd say go 144Hz but here's another thing you should note... Adaptive HALF VSYNC (or "Dynamic" for AMD GPU's which I did with RadeonPro but might be in the AMD drivers now).

If you enable that for a game the GPU locks to 72FPS (half refresh). This is best for games with obvious screen tear, VSYNC ON causes stutter so that's really the best option. Here's a quick idea how to enable for NVidia:

NCP-> manage 3d settings-> program settings-> ADD game-> enable the "HALF" adaptive VSync option, then save. Then TEST that it works (should lock to 72FPS, but if you drop below 72FPS you may see screen tear but not get added stutter)

Solution
Oct 1, 2018

Do you use Freesync or Gsync ?

I'm planning to buy 144hz monitor, but i wound't use freesync or Gsync, i'm afraid of screen-tearing.
(i also run games at 90FPS +/-)

Freesync and GSync get rid of screen tearing. That's the point of those monitors.

On a normal, SYNCHRONOUS monitor you get screen tearing if you have VSYNC OFF because the GPU output (FPS) and monitor update (refresh in Hz) are not synchronized so you get parts of frames from the GPU mixed together in the same refresh.

VSYNC ON with a synchronous monitor eliminates screen tearing but then you have two issues:
a) added LAG, and
b) added STUTTERING if you can't output an FPS to match the Hz (i.e. at least 144FPS for 144Hz monitor)

There are sort-of workarounds like Adaptive VSYNC that just toggle VSYNC OFF automatically if you can't hit the target (so then you get screen tearing) or Adaptive VSync Half Refresh that synch to half the FPS (so 72FPS for 144Hz monitor is locked or VSYNC OFF with screen tearing if you can't output 72FPS).

GSYNC/Freesync:
To oversimplify, the monitor instead changes when it refreshes the screen so if you're outputting 90FPS then the monitor is 90Hz. If your range is 40Hz to 144Hz then 38FPS gets doubled so the monitor updates at 76Hz (2x per frame).

Basically you enable Freesync or GSync as applicable and you avoid:
a) Screen tearing
b) added lag
c) added stuttering (but not all types)

*running games at 90FPS?
That's a very good scenario to have a 144Hz+ Gsync or Freesync monitor. Otherwise you'll have the above problems depending on whether you choose VSYNC ON, VSYNC OFF, or Adaptive VSync (or "Half" Adaptive).