Should I get a 4790K? My 4770K is going Bad.

OCCT fails with everything set to auto in the bios. It only passes with my CPU multiplier set to 32. Why should I have to raise vcore just to run at stock speed? I'm thinking about just getting a 4790K.

iamacow

Admirable
Its normally for a CPU to degrade over time. Sounds like a high overclock in the past has done a number. Raise your vcore to 1.25-3 and leave it at stock. You'll be fine.

The 4790K is a revision of the same CPU. I wouldn't buy a new one at this point. its 3-4 years old now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like you had a pretty mild overclock before. What was the voltage it was running at? If it was too high you may have degraded the chip over time.

Given the current price of memory, it would certainly be cheaper to pick up an i7-4790k, but if the CPU isn't the problem you will have wasted the money. Do you have any way to validate the CPU in another motherboard?

I bought this CPU really cheap back in 2016 used. I have no idea what it went through before me. All I know is I used to run this thing at 4.2GHz on auto voltage and now I can't run it at that frequency even at 1.4v. Auto voltage tries to run this thing at 1.37v according to OCCT stress test at stock speed and even that crashes. That's with me loading optimized defaults in the bios.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

What do you mean by fails?
Is your temp hitting 85C?
I've never seen a CPU go bad myself.
Bump your memory voltage up by 0.02 volts.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I adjusted the vcore to 1.300v, set the CPU ratio multiplier to 40, upped the RAM voltage to 1.680v, set the system agent voltage to +0.29, and left the cache multiplier to 35 min 35 max. Been stable for 4 hours on occt. Tried 4.2GHz it freezes after a few seconds. No BSOD it just freezes and stays frozen.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Going out on a limb and saying 1.68 volts on the memory. 1.5 is the expected voltage. High end overclocked memory would be at 1.65.

Usually when overclocking you do one thing at a time. Find out what the CPU can do before messing with the memory (Should be at 1333 while testing, too)