Should I get a 4g router?

hoix

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello everyone :)

I've been having problems with my internet for a while now. High latency (150-400 ping on every game), slow download speed (3mbps) and non existent upload (0.1mbps...)

I've contacted my ISP and they haven't been able to resolve the problem. I've tried switching ISP but there aren't any others in my area. Fiber optic will be coming in around 3 months and will provide a much faster connection but they have said it was going to come a few months back and have delayed it or something. (The ISP is really bad if you can't tell xD, it was originally planned for June this year)

Anyway the point of this thread is this, this morning I went to the computer repair shop as I had to pick up an ipad. I asked about fibre optic and he says he had a 300down 300up as he it's a company but he recommended a 4g router.

He said it is unlimited data, 12mbps min 80mbps max, and stable. This is obviously a step up from my internet connection as of now if true. Is it too good to be true? I don't want to pay the 200 Euros up front for the router and 60 Euros a month if it isn't what he says it is.

What are your opinions on this? I have no experience whatsoever with routers and different plans so I need your guys' help.

Thanks everyone :)

EDIT: If it is good, is it good enough for gaming, streaming...etc.. all month round?

Solution
No one can say for sure if it is legit. I can tell you that the fist generation LTE (4G) is capable of speeds up to 1Gbps so 12-80 is easily capable on a 4G connection.

It would be fine for gaming and streaming, much better than your 3Mbps connection.
Highly unlikely you are going to get a uncapped plan of any kind on mobile broadband. Most are extremely expensive.

You need to go to the ISP and read all the fine print. Some only allow the plans on cell phones not connected to a pc or router on unlimited plans. Other the total data you can use is unlimited but you only get say 3g/month at high speed and then it slows down to some almost unusable speed that you can "try" to use all you can.

The routers are nothing all that special anymore. Many are small little hotspots. You many times can use the PC modems and hook them to the more popular routers like asus or tplink....makes sure you look at the compatibility list closely before you buy.

Key is to read the fine print, it is extremely rare to find uncapped plans.

No one can say for sure if it is legit. I can tell you that the fist generation LTE (4G) is capable of speeds up to 1Gbps so 12-80 is easily capable on a 4G connection.

It would be fine for gaming and streaming, much better than your 3Mbps connection.

Solution

skoadro_lekip

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
I'm currently at my summer house right now, and the router recently broke so as a quick replacement we got a 4G router.

I can say for sure that it's by far the worst internet i have ever used in my life. On the ookla speedtest i get around 0.05mbps and i can never see my upload as it takes too long to finish the download. It might just be the internet provider, but its really really a bad idea. I also a capped at 8gigs and says that in 2 days i used 3 gigs of my internet (WTF). I've complained to the provider but they never answer back. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

Just submitting this answer is painful as it takes me around 9 minutes to load every god damn click. Can't wait to get back home!

hoix

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I'll ask him tomorrow. It's not an ISP it's some guy from a computer repair shop. I'll fill you guys in on what he says tomorrow and see. Appreciate all your help guys :)

Speed greatly depends on your coverage. A outdoor antenna makes a huge difference. Caps on these are extremely low you have to be very careful. I accidentally left a machine with auto update on it and it downloaded a bunch of patches. Be very careful if you check the reserve windows 10 box that has started coming up. It will download 3g of sometime before release in a week or so.

When you use mobile broadband you have to really go though and turn lots of things off. Adblockers/script blockers are also extremely important to cut down on the bandwidth used.

This is all locale dependent. What happens in my town/country may not be what is happening on yours, so posting in this international forum is not very useful, you gotta talk to the local folks. Do you HAVE to commit to a contract? if not, try them out, if it doesn't work out, just go someplace else right.