Should I get a 4k display for gaming or no?

ZahFox

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
So in a week or so I'm going to build a gaming PC that's going to run me around $1,500 for just the system. This is my first time, so I'm doing a lot of planning to make sure I get my moneys worth. I think I have just about everything figured out, except for which display I'm going to choose. To start I think I'm set on getting the GeForce GTX 1070 for my graphics card. I've noticed while shopping on sites like newegg, that all of the UHD/4k monitors only have a refresh rate of 60hz. Most ones I find with a higher refresh rate are from lesser known brands with few and negative reviews. But when I search online I see plenty of 40'' UHD LED Televisions with refresh rates of 120hz. Would a television be good for computer gaming or worse? Should it even matter, can I even reach these frame rates in 4k with my graphics card? What should I do, I want the best visual experience that I can possibly get for a reasonable price.

ZahFox

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

I guess I'm also asking if 60hz is sufficient for gaming? Is there really any advantage to having a higher one?

Geekwad

Admirable
Solution

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Only if you're a profession gamer who has super human reflexes. Most hardcore 'home' gamers wouldn't even be able to notice anything above 60fps.