[SOLVED] Should I get a DAC&/Amp or just Amp?

May 16, 2020
I'm currently using Sound Blaster x-fi MB3 on my Gigabyte Z-97MX Gaming-5 motherboard. Noticed that the sound has become very soft, even at max volume. As I mostly play FPS like Tarkov where hearing properly is essential, I'm looking at alternatives to the MB3. My question is, should I get the DAC&/Amp combo or will just the amp be enough to get my volume back? This would be used with my Sennheiser GSP 302 headset.

Solution
Unless you have a setting, driver, or software issue there is no reason your onboard shouldn't be able to run the GSP 302's at volume. As far as DAC/AMP's that depends on your primary uses.

GSX 1000 $180ish

+Headphone and Mic Input with sidetone and mixer settings
+Hella nice touch controls
+5.1 and 7.1 virtual surround
-Lacks power, anything more than 60hz and you find yourself using close to 80% if not more.
-Software is unstable on some systems 😕 but has plenty of options and control provided it doesn't crash constantly.

Soundblaster G6 $130ish

+Can run any headphone or IEM " Low gain and High gain amp output"
+ 5.1 and 7.1 virtual surround
+Scout mode is awesome in FPS...

Ralston18

Titan
Have you been able to check the audio configuration settings?

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

You should be presented with a menu of audio related settings that you can open and explore. Do not immediately change anything. Just look and make notes about anything that is unexpected or you know to be incorrect or otherwise not as it should be.

Then change or correct as applicable but change only one thing at a time. Again keep notes in case you need to go back and undo some change.

If unsuccessful, then manually download the applicable audio drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

May 16, 2020
Thnx for ur reply. I've tried all that, including updating drivers (the headphones are using Realtek HD Audio) alternate headphones, restart and a system restore but the problem still remains. The volume is not even half of what it used to be at 100%. I never needed to use higher than 25 until now, with game volume set to 100 I would turn it down in game because it was too loud at certain points, but now everything is set to 95+ with impairment issues from sounds not coming through due to low volume.

I was looking at a CL ad for $200 GSX 1000 but I've read mixed reviews abt the product. $100 FIIO e10k seems like my best option right now?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Unless you have a setting, driver, or software issue there is no reason your onboard shouldn't be able to run the GSP 302's at volume. As far as DAC/AMP's that depends on your primary uses.

GSX 1000 $180ish

-Lacks power, anything more than 60hz and you find yourself using close to 80% if not more.
-Software is unstable on some systems 😕 but has plenty of options and control provided it doesn't crash constantly.

Soundblaster G6 $130ish

+Scout mode is awesome in FPS games
+Software is stable with tons of options and control
+ Music under direct mode sounds a bit better over the GSX line
-Sidetone and mixer settings that are not as easy to use as the GSX1000
-Toggling 5.1 and 7.1 isn't as easy to do as it is on the GSX 1000
-Surround Sound is okay but not fantastic

Fulla 3 $99

+Neutral sound that is better than the above units
+Headphone and Mic Input
+Can run most headphones
-Lacks any software
-Lacks any perks for gaming " Software bundle, Scout mode, Surround sound"

FIIO e10k $75ish

+ Clearly a winner for music over the G6 and GSX
- Lacks any perks for gaming " Software bundle, Scout mode, Surround sound"
-Lacks a Mic input

Clearly different products for different uses.

Solution
May 16, 2020

GSX 1000 $180ish

Soundblaster G6 $130ish

+Scout mode is awesome in FPS games
+Software is stable with tons of options and control
+ Music under direct mode sounds a bit better over the GSX line
-Sidetone and mixer settings that are not as easy to use as the GSX1000
-Toggling 5.1 and 7.1 isn't as easy to do as it is on the GSX 1000
-Surround Sound is okay but not fantastic

Fulla 3 $99

+Neutral sound that is better than the above units
+Headphone and Mic Input
+Can run most headphones
-Lacks any software
-Lacks any perks for gaming " Software bundle, Scout mode, Surround sound"

FIIO e10k $75ish

+ Clearly a winner for music over the G6 and GSX
- Lacks any perks for gaming " Software bundle, Scout mode, Surround sound"
-Lacks a Mic input

Clearly different products for different uses.

I think my onboard is just starting to wear down, or I'm missing something painfully obvious. The volume used to revert back to normal for a couple days before going back to being quiet. Now its been 2+ weeks and the volume remains lower than I'd like it to be at 95% with loudness eq turned on. I built the PC in 2014 and have replaced several parts already, so this isn't too surprising, but it will be a year or so before I can build my next PC.

I'm ok without the gaming perks, as the only FPS I play sounds better in stereo without those features. Just want to confirm if the options lacking a mic input, like the E10K, can be solved by plugging the adapter that came with the GSP302 to combine the headphone/mic jacks into one. And thank you very much for the detailed comparison of DAC&AMP.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I think my onboard is just starting to wear down, or I'm missing something painfully obvious. The volume used to revert back to normal for a couple days before going back to being quiet. Now its been 2+ weeks and the volume remains lower than I'd like it to be at 95% with loudness eq turned on. I built the PC in 2014 and have replaced several parts already, so this isn't too surprising, but it will be a year or so before I can build my next PC.

I'm ok without the gaming perks, as the only FPS I play sounds better in stereo without those features. Just want to confirm if the options lacking a mic input, like the E10K, can be solved by plugging the adapter that came with the GSP302 to combine the headphone/mic jacks into one. And thank you very much for the detailed comparison of DAC&AMP.
Do you have that same issue with the Front and Back inputs :unsure: The rear input normally has nearly double the power as the front since it is technically designated as a speaker output.

May 16, 2020
Do you have that same issue with the Front and Back inputs :unsure: The rear input normally has nearly double the power as the front since it is technically designated as a speaker output.

I've been using the rear input this whole time, found out early on that the front produces too much static