[SOLVED] Should I get a fan controller/hub?

Jan 30, 2021
Hello, I am going to buy fans for my pc. My case supports 6fans. It's the 275r airflow. Anyways, should I get a fan hub? My mobo that I'm planning to get is Z490 A-Pro. I think it supports 6 4-pin fans. And also, there are two options. One is for 20 bucks and comes with 3 rgb fans and fan controller that supports 10 fans. Other one is 10 bucks that comes with 3 fans but with nothing else. What should I go for? Also, which is better, corsair 275r airflow that comes with 3 fans or the corsair 4000d airflow that comes with 2 fans?
My system that I'm planning to get:
Z490 A-Pro
i3-10100(will upgrade)
1650 super(will upgrade)
mx-4 thermal paste
seasonic GX 750w(overkill but for superior upgrades like i5/i7/i9 and 20 series)
8gb ram(maybe will upgrade straight away to 16 if not enough
N300 Tp_link

Thank you in advance.

Solution
The (will upgrade) is for the future. Is my psu overkill, or will it run at 40-70% load? Plus, I don't know what to get between the cases, I feel like I'm still confused. For the better option, let's just go with the 4000d airflow. Also, is molex the same as 4-pin? Can I still control my fans? Also, with my motherboard, can I control the fans so when the temperatures go up it ramps up the speed of the fans?
No,molex just transfers power from the psu to the fan,making it run at 100% all the time.
A 4-pin header will draw the power from the motherboard, and the fan will be in BIOS settings, in where you can set your own fan curves.
Jan 30, 2021
Well, it's one fan hub,and it comes with the fans. It's generic. For the cases, I like the design of both, but which one has better thermals? If it's one-three degrees it doesn't matter but if it's gonna be more than 5 degrees(Celsius) thermals I'll pick the better one.

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Alot of the parts your planning on getting says "will upgrade" next to them. Have you thought about saving up a little longer to get the parts you really want?
The 4000D already includes 2 fans, why don't you keep it stock until you know for certain what to buy..

Reactions: Dj0gany
Jan 30, 2021
The (will upgrade) is for the future. Is my psu overkill, or will it run at 40-70% load? Plus, I don't know what to get between the cases, I feel like I'm still confused. For the better option, let's just go with the 4000d airflow. Also, is molex the same as 4-pin? Can I still control my fans? Also, with my motherboard, can I control the fans so when the temperatures go up it ramps up the speed of the fans?

No,molex just transfers power from the psu to the fan,making it run at 100% all the time.
A 4-pin header will draw the power from the motherboard, and the fan will be in BIOS settings, in where you can set your own fan curves.

Solution
What's the difference between 4pin and 4pin molex?
A 4 pin header that pluggs in the motherboard will allow you to control the fan speed, alongside powering the fan.
A molex will just power the fan, and it wont be controlable so it will run 100% all the time : )
You can find 4 pin headers on motherboards, which again, will allow the fan to be controled in terms of speeds.
Molex can only be found coming from the psu.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOT_PROVIDED_16