Hadesthegamer

Reputable
Apr 30, 2016
I'm a college student just starting out with my major in computer science. A laptop is going to be absolutely essential for me, and i also need to get a pc for my dad's office room which is in my home.
And i want to game, so would it be better to get a gaming pc and a lower cost laptop or the other way around?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Gaming PC will be less expensive than a gaming laptop. A "non" gaming laptop should (in theory) have parts better suited to a longer battery life available. In my opinion and experience with the college landscape I would suggest the least expensive laptop that is capable of and will last you the time you expect to need it for your time at school, in a range that you can afford to replace for theft and or breakage.

Dec 3, 2019
In your case I would go with a laptop I heard a nitro 5 used was a bank for the buck might be even cheaper then a desktop because of the screen -70 and keyboard -30 webcam-25 touchpad-10 make sure to go for the gtx 1050 ti version andu can pick it up for 400-600 usd

I'm a college student just starting out with my major in computer science. A laptop is going to be absolutely essential for me, and i also need to get a pc for my dad's office room which is in my home.
And i want to game, so would it be better to get a gaming pc and a lower cost laptop or the other way around?

Simple answer here, do you want to play games at their full setting while away from the desktop? Then get a higher end laptop. If you are OK with playing at low settings or no games on the laptop, then put more money on the desktop. It may help if you put in a total budget for both systems.

You buy a laptop for portability.
Normal class work should not need anything special so long as the laptop has a ssd.
Gaming laptops are expensive and the cooling capability will be marginal.

For gaming, a desktop is much better.
You can use a strong graphics card, and a larger monitor.
It should cost you less.