Should i get a gtx 1060 6gb or 1070 for a i5 4590k

Lays_BBQ

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Hey guys, several quick questions. :D

Which of these cards (gtx 1060 6gb or 1070) will not bottleneck the i5 4590k? And if it does bottleneck, what are the effects (don't understand what bottleneck means much yet, just heard it from my cousin.)

Will overclocking my cpu help if i take the 1070 and it does bottleneck, as I have never overclocked my cpu before.

And if I've been an utter fool all this time for not overclocking my cpu, can anyone point me to the right direction as to how to overclock and how far should i push it. Preferably in a safe clock speed.

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
A GTX 1070 should be fine on your i5-4590K especially if you do overclock it a bit. Bottlenecking is when a component is holding back the maximum performance of another, in this situation say you are playing an intense modern game and your i5 is sitting at 100% usage but your GPU is not kicking into full speed despite your performance being quite poor. This would be an example of a CPU bottleneck but it is my opinion that your i5 should do the job just fine with a GTX 1070 for the time being and overclocking it would helps this slightly if you are up to it. Consider upgrading the CPU next however if you have the money anytime soon. A few months would be great since Ryzen 3/5 will be out and offer good competition and variety to the CPU...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
A GTX 1070 should be fine on your i5-4590K especially if you do overclock it a bit. Bottlenecking is when a component is holding back the maximum performance of another, in this situation say you are playing an intense modern game and your i5 is sitting at 100% usage but your GPU is not kicking into full speed despite your performance being quite poor. This would be an example of a CPU bottleneck but it is my opinion that your i5 should do the job just fine with a GTX 1070 for the time being and overclocking it would helps this slightly if you are up to it. Consider upgrading the CPU next however if you have the money anytime soon. A few months would be great since Ryzen 3/5 will be out and offer good competition and variety to the CPU market. Hope this helps :)

*Edit* What are you playing exactly? A GTX 1060 6GB would be a good pairing for 1080p but the 1070 would be a good for 1080p 120+ FPS or 1440p.

Solution

Lays_BBQ

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Am planning to play the new mass effect game and future AAA games hopefully at ultra or high settings (a man can dream), currently my rig has no gpu (sold it last year), currently just playing dota 2 on a gpuless rig.

In addition though, should I buy the gpu cards when the new amd gpus come out or the price won't go down that much.

Thanks in Advance :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Hmm hard to tell, it's possible the GTX 1000 series will get a slight price cut with the release of the new RX 500 series but i can't be certain on that. However, the RX 400 GPUs will more than likely get a cut, only issue is there is not a GPU from the RX 400 series that can compete with the GTX 1070 but if you stick with a slightly weaker GPU, the RX 480 8GB wouldn't be bad it is the competitor to the 6GB 1060. Either way your CPU should hold up fine but perhaps keep an eye out for i7-4770 or i7-4790 which fit your socket so you can re-use the RAM and Motherboard but get a more powerful CPU.

It depends on the game. I assume you mean 4690k (there's no 4590k). Overclocking it should help some if the cpu becomes the problem limiting your fps. Which gpu depends on which game and what resolution. As suggested by CRO5513Y, the 1060 is a decent gpu for most games at 1080p. If the game is really demanding in the graphics and you want to run on ultra with all the eye candy turned up then a 1070 might be a better option. The 1070 would also be a better option for 1440p gaming, the higher the resolution, the more pixels, the more gpu horsepower needed.

Some games stress the gpu harder, other stress the cpu harder. Games are individual programs for the most part and there's no one single 'gaming' setup. Dota, witcher 3 and solitaire are 3 completely different games with different requirements.

Unless you get a good price selling off your i5, motherboard and ram I wouldn't worry about ryzen. At best it would be a sidegrade requiring a new cpu, mobo and ddr4 ram with no real benefits. For overclocking advice it would probably be best to ask in the overclocking forums as well as listing what motherboard you're using, which cooler you're using, case and case cooling. It will help people provide suggestions if you need a different cpu cooler (if running the stock cooler overclocking isn't recommended.)