Question Should i get a GTX1070, 1660TI, or RTX 2070,

rocklee336

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Given that the GPU is meant for a new build, what do the rest of your specs look like and what sort of a budget have you allocated towards the build? On that pretense, you could allocate more or less on the GPU.
im looking to spend under 1000, I already have my harddrives, ssd, 500W power supply, and other basic things. i think im going for ryzen 5 or 7, the ROG strix motherboard (109$) 16 gb of ram, and a AIO. i just need to know which one is the best bang for the buck

Those cards cover a pretty wide range of prices. In general, GTX 1070s are getting pretty hard to come by these days, so their prices have risen, at least when buying new. They typically perform similar to a 1660 Ti, so I wouldn't pay any more for a 1070 than what those cost.

The RTX 2060 performs similar to a 1070 Ti, getting around 15-20% higher frame rates on average than a 1660 Ti. The 2070 in turn performs around 15-20% faster than the 2060, and is also a bit faster than a GTX 1080.

The RTX 2060 and 2070 also support hardware-raytraced lighting effects in games that support them, but so far, that only amounts to 3 games, and the effects cause a large performance hit when enabled, for only a relatively minimal enhancement to visuals. Maybe some future games will make better use of that hardware, but as of now it seems a bit questionable how much can be accomplished with those effects on this first-generation raytracing hardware.

In general, as far as the most "bang for the buck" goes, the cost-per-frame of more "mid-range" cards will generally be better, and you get diminishing returns the more you pay. For example, a 2070 costs almost 80% more than a 1660 Ti, but won't average much more than 40% higher frame rates. Of course, for screens with higher resolutions like 1440p, or for higher refresh rates like 144Hz, those higher-end cards may be needed to achieve frame rates that you consider to be "good". If you are only on a 1080p, 60Hz monitor though, then something like a 2070 might be a bit overkill, at least in the short-term.