Should I Get A Laptop With Intel i7-8550u or Desktop With i7-4790

Jul 29, 2018
I am looking to upgrade my business computer that is currently an i3, 8gb of ram and 128gb ssd. My memory seems to be capping out a lot more lately. I do a lot of multi-tasking with numerous browsers open in Chrome and a lot of web based stuff. I also do some with Photoshop/Illustrator. This is where I am torn.

I have been looking at refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020 with i7 4790, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd for around $500. I also just recently purchased a 32" Acer curved monitor. I thought about going the desktop route since most of my work is done at this computer at my desk.

My other thought though is getting a laptop instead and using that as a desktop. This way I can get rid of my current laptop and just have one computer I can use in my office and hook up to the monitor or take with me if I want to work somewhere else.

The laptops I have been looking at have the i7-8550u processor, 16gb of ram and around the same size ssd. These look they are around $700-$800. I have been looking at like the Dell 5579 or 5570.

Which one would I get better performance out of for what I need?