Question Should I get a Liquid AIO?

pricelessppp

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
Should I get a liquid AIO if my overall budget allows for one? And do y'all know of any good 1 or 2 or 3 fan Liquid AIO for a Ryzen based system?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no.

For most cpus, liquid cooling and air cooling are the same thing, within their respective ranges. A 140w 120mm liquid cooler will have approximately the same results ± to a 140w air cooler. Or a 200w 240mm liquid cooler = a 200w air cooler.

Theres also the matter of the cpu output. Is it stock, or are you pushing an extreme OC. Does it see severe usage due to rendering/streaming/editing or is it a web surfer. Is it a Ryzen 3 1200 or a Ryzen 7 3900x. Tall ram?

And that's just a few variables. There's also the case, what will work better, will they even fit.

Aesthetics? Rgb, plain or doesn't really matter? Prefer the looks of a beefy, giant block of aluminium? Or the general openness of an AIO?

It's more than just changing coolers, or even budget as some aircoolers cost more than equitable AIO's, especially if you need to add decent case fans as well, it's also a question of what's going to work out better for you.

Just what are your expectations?

pricelessppp

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
Yes and no.

For most cpus, liquid cooling and air cooling are the same thing, within their respective ranges. A 140w 120mm liquid cooler will have approximately the same results ± to a 140w air cooler. Or a 200w 240mm liquid cooler = a 200w air cooler.

Theres also the matter of the cpu output. Is it stock, or are you pushing an extreme OC. Does it see severe usage due to rendering/streaming/editing or is it a web surfer. Is it a Ryzen 3 1200 or a Ryzen 7 3900x. Tall ram?

And that's just a few variables. There's also the case, what will work better, will they even fit.

Aesthetics? Rgb, plain or doesn't really matter? Prefer the looks of a beefy, giant block of aluminium? Or the general openness of an AIO?

It's more than just changing coolers, or even budget as some aircoolers cost more than equitable AIO's, especially if you need to add decent case fans as well, it's also a question of what's going to work out better for you.

Just what are your expectations?
My expectations are to keep CPU thermals cooled. Oh am more into the plain aesthetics.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Although there's quite a bit of details missing from your end...
Should I get a liquid AIO if my overall budget allows for one?
Simple answer: Unless you are overclocking a 9900K, then no. Any other mainstream cpu can be cooled just fine on a high end air cooler.

And do y'all know of any good 1 or 2 or 3 fan Liquid AIO for a Ryzen based system?
Ryzen is very power efficient and doesn't even require a 360mm AIO. But at that point, you'd be better served with an air cooler anyway.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I recently picked up a Deepcool AIO. I purchased some new RAM and it was too tall for the Evo cooler I was using before, in that it forced me to raise the fan high enough that it touched the "glass" on my side panel.
Installation was pretty easy and it looks much better than before. The single best benefit from having it, IMO, is how much quieter it is. I personally can't hear the pump, or at least be able to tell that is what I am hearing. I backed off the fan curve towards "silent" and they only ramp up under the highest loads. So far the highest temps I have seen are low to mid 60's on a R7 2700X.....still rangy though.