[SOLVED] Should I get a mobile router or a Fire tablet for elderly father?

Mar 18, 2020
I think this is the right forum but my apologies if not.

My 72 year old dad is resistant to new technologies, but he loves film and music and would greatly benefit from wifi and a tablet or Roku TV, I think.

I have a Olevia 226-T11 smart TV just sitting in a spare room that no one uses and would like to give him. Problem is, he absolutely refuses to take on a wifi monthly payment, but he does pay 40 a month in cell service and could probably pay another 10 - 20 more.

My mom, bless her heart, has a billion Amazon reward points that she isn't using, and I think we could get a cheap tablet or mobile router that he could put a SIM card into and at least get YouTube or something.

I know there are prepaid or pay as you go internet packages but it's not clear whether that would be better than normal data plans on a SIM card. Also I don't want to have to deal with topping up on it for him later, as I don't know how my finances will look.

What would everyone recommend for this situation? TV obviously better than a Fire, but only if we can good enough speeds.

Solution
Where do you live, you will not find truly unlimited data plans in the USA. They all have fine print. Most of what you see advertised is restricted to usage on the phone itself and even then they exclude things like video streaming.

Video eats huge amounts of bandwidth. You are going to hit the caps very quickly especially if you go with the cheaper plans.

It tends to always be cheaper to pay for a normal internet connection. The cheaper ones tend to be DSL but you never know. If it is a actual income related issue the ISP should know if there is any assistance for elderly from the government.
Where do you live, you will not find truly unlimited data plans in the USA. They all have fine print. Most of what you see advertised is restricted to usage on the phone itself and even then they exclude things like video streaming.

Video eats huge amounts of bandwidth. You are going to hit the caps very quickly especially if you go with the cheaper plans.

It tends to always be cheaper to pay for a normal internet connection. The cheaper ones tend to be DSL but you never know. If it is a actual income related issue the ISP should know if there is any assistance for elderly from the government.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts