Should I get a new CPU Cooler?

atron

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I'm not sure if it worth the upgrade from Thermalright Venomous X to Noctua NH-D15 for the AMD FX-8350 as I'm gotta do lot of gaming.

I get 20c @ idle with Thermalright Venomous X with those CoolerMaster 2,000RPM 120mm fans, but I want to know if Noctua NH-D15 is worth the upgrade? I had Venomous X for the last 4-5 years. My case would fit the D15 perfectly fine as the case have 170mm height for any cpu coolers to fit in there.

Solution
every CPU is individual overclockable, 5GHz are not common, more like 4.6GHz. Read some more tech guides how to overclock. Normally, you begin with low settings, test if it´s stable and then get a step higher, test again and so on.

Never start overclocking by just typing in some voltage, frequency,...
This will most likely fail

dottorrent

Honorable
That would be a decent upgrade, yes. The D15 however is very wide, as opposed to very tall. But it does seem that your Venemous X can still do the job right, so you have a choice between keep the cooler for another year or 2, or go for the D15.

atron

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Zerlk2012, I get about 40-50c when playing games with the Thermalright Venomous X. This cpu cooler wouldn't allow me to overclock as it keep on rebooting my system.

Would NH-D15 be suitable for gaming and to overclock a little bit?

atron

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Well I got that over clock idea off Google that it is stable for them @ 5GHz, when I did the same settings they set at in the BIOS, mine just say "Overclocking failed.." something along with the line. I believe this CPU Cooler isn't stable for overclocking with this FX-8350. I had used this cpu cooler in the past with Intel i7 860, which is why I said this cpu cooler is 4 to 5 years old.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX (http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/)
Enermax Revolution 85+ 1,250w (http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=1&lv1=54&no=6)

every CPU is individual overclockable, 5GHz are not common, more like 4.6GHz. Read some more tech guides how to overclock. Normally, you begin with low settings, test if it´s stable and then get a step higher, test again and so on.

Never start overclocking by just typing in some voltage, frequency,...
This will most likely fail

Solution