Should I get a new CPU or GPU?

Badger_dude

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
So I have an AMD Athlon X4 760K along with a Sapphire Radeon R7 260X. In a while I may be able to afford getting a new component, but I'm not sure if it should be a GTX 970 or i5 4690k along with a compatible motherboard.
I plan on doing a bit of emulation, which really hasn't worked the best (PS2) on my Athlon (which I assume is the problem). But I also plan on playing upcoming games like Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky. What do you guys think? New CPU or GPU?

Solution
I'd do the gpu first. Games vary, some are more cpu dependent than others, and single or multi-player can make a difference. However, a move to a gtx970 from an AMD r7 260x will have an impact on every game. It will be bottlenecked by the 760k,but that's just going to be the gpu not being able to run 100%. Compared to the difference the card will make, its a negligible downside.

On the upside, you'll need a mobo and a cpu to switch to Intel, both of which can be bought separately or as a combo, which will make acquisition easier on the wallet and can be spread over time, whereas pitching out the single large price later for a 970 maybe somewhat daunting.

Gpu first.

Badger_dude

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I already said, games like Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky. I plan on getting into Guild Wars 2 and The Witcher 3 later. If you meant on emulators, I mean games like Metal Gear Solid 3, Metroid Prime, etc.

ONKI

Reputable
May 23, 2014

an intel CPU will cost him again for the mobo....

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd do the gpu first. Games vary, some are more cpu dependent than others, and single or multi-player can make a difference. However, a move to a gtx970 from an AMD r7 260x will have an impact on every game. It will be bottlenecked by the 760k,but that's just going to be the gpu not being able to run 100%. Compared to the difference the card will make, its a negligible downside.

On the upside, you'll need a mobo and a cpu to switch to Intel, both of which can be bought separately or as a combo, which will make acquisition easier on the wallet and can be spread over time, whereas pitching out the single large price later for a 970 maybe somewhat daunting.

Gpu first.

Solution

Badger_dude

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Thank you for the response, Karadjgne. However, I have one more question. If I were to focus heavily on playing on emulators, would you recommend a new processor instead? Or is that also a lot of work on the GPU as well?

Badger_dude

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

By emulators I mean PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox games which don't run very well on my current rig, and i'm not sure if that's due more to the processor or graphics card.