HP 280 G1 MT

I5 4590S

8GB DDR3 RAM

2TB HHD

MOTHERBOARD MODEL: unknown but has lga1150 socket

GPU: intergrated intel HD 4600

So what should I get cpu or gpu? I have a pretty low £100 budget. Thx

Solution
First of all, what do you want to do with your computer? Gaming, productivity, or perhaps just web browsing with a lot of tabs opened?

Second, what is the power supply wattage? If it's below 300w then your options are limited.
If the motherboard has a 24 pin connector, the power supply is upgradeable.

An i7 would only give extra threads, but the core count is the same. The biggest upgrade (for gaming) would be a graphics card. For under £100 you can probably find an RX 570/580, even in the 8gb if you are willing to buy used. The problem is that they require quite a lot a power.
There are reasonable PCIe powered graphics cards, like GTX 1050/1050Ti, but they are not worth the money. Anyway, with a weak power supply, none would cut. The...

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
First of all, what do you want to do with your computer? Gaming, productivity, or perhaps just web browsing with a lot of tabs opened?

Second, what is the power supply wattage? If it's below 300w then your options are limited.
If the motherboard has a 24 pin connector, the power supply is upgradeable.

An i7 would only give extra threads, but the core count is the same. The biggest upgrade (for gaming) would be a graphics card. For under £100 you can probably find an RX 570/580, even in the 8gb if you are willing to buy used. The problem is that they require quite a lot a power.
There are reasonable PCIe powered graphics cards, like GTX 1050/1050Ti, but they are not worth the money. Anyway, with a weak power supply, none would cut. The only decent option would be the 30w GT 1030, but it's even more overpriced.

I can suggest to get a solid state drive (SSD). They would give a significant boost in OS/program loading, makign the entire system feel faster. You can get a 240gb SSD for about £30.

Solution
I have a 180w PSU and i do more gaming on my pc
Thx for the reply

Yeah man. That 180W PSU is simply just not gonna cut it if you get a GPU. However, that doesn't mean either that I will recommend getting a new CPU because any of the newer models will require you to also upgrade your RAM and Motherboard, which at 100 quid won't get you very far.

As for the solution to your question, that CPU should be able to handle some good discrete GPUs. So I would really recommend you to go for something like this if you're willing to save up a little:
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 400 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£38.90 @ Aria PC)
Total: £158.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 20:39 GMT+0000

If you're not, consider that 2nd hand is also an option. Just looking at some stuff on Ebay UK. I found some pretty good deals. You could try and aim for 2nd hand RX570s, GTX1050/Ti, GTX960/Ti, GTX970/Ti.

For example I found this (it says warranty which is interesting):
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/124012103474

And then you could buy that PSU I recommend new from Amazon.

This would be a HUGE upgrade for you in terms of gaming.

P.S: please send me your motherboard model and case model to ensure parts are compatible.

WildCard999

Titan
I have a Microtower HP case from 2014
Pc model is HP 280 G MT and has a couple of expansion slots

Here is a link to HP's description of the pc https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04465455

Motherboard is HP 782450-001 Socket LGA1150

Thx i will be getting a new PSU as i saw that 180w is very underpowered
Which PSU exactly? Going with a low quality unit could ruin that new GPU or other parts.