[SOLVED] Should i get a new gaming monitor?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new monitor and even opened a thread here asking people which monitor i should buy for my new PC but i haven't found one i really want yet and i'm not even sure i should upgrade anymore so i could really use some advice.

My biggest problem is this. I got a GTX 1070 ti and i'm not going to replace it until i see a big jump in performance in the 400-500$ range - I think that even the RTX 2070 Super is just not enough. Especially now. So should i even bother to replace my 1080p 60hz 6-7 years old monitor? Sure i can run some games at 1440p even 4K (not talking about games like Metro Exodus ofcoruse) if i reduce my graphics settings but i like to keep them as high as i can so i can get a nice picture while maintaining 60fps - and there another issue, the frame rate. I get that 144hz is amazing (or so i'm told) but why should i buy a monitor with such a high refresh rate when it's so difficult maintaining 60fps even when running most modern games at mid - high settings?

I really don't know much about monitors so if you can tell me of something i might be missing that would be much appreciated. Do i get better colors or something? even HDR seems to be a bit far from being displayed correctly in games right now..

I want a new monitor, but i just can't justify spending the money on it. Sorry if i you had trouble understanding me, i just wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully hear what you guys think.

These are my specs:
Ryzen 3900x
x570 Aorus Master
32gb 3600
GTX 1070 ti

Current Monitor -
Samsung S23B350 - 1080p, 60hz, 2ms(i think)
not even sure you can find it online 😅

Solution
1440p 60hz is well within the range of a 1070Ti. My GTX1080 is still managing around 70-90FPS at 1440p in some of the more recent titles.

You could get vast improvements in color accuracy, viewing angles, and size if you want. Also keep in mind that people do tend to keep monitors for 6 or 7 years. So no reason not to buy big and replace the GPU later. Basically what I have done. 1440p 144hz is quite the challenge, and while my older games are perfectly happy running at that speed, still a decent performance on newer titles. Like you I don't much bother with compromising on settings these days, don't have the time to bother with it. If it can't do max, I upgrade, if it is important enough.

HDR support is still hit or miss, only the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1440p 60hz is well within the range of a 1070Ti. My GTX1080 is still managing around 70-90FPS at 1440p in some of the more recent titles.

You could get vast improvements in color accuracy, viewing angles, and size if you want. Also keep in mind that people do tend to keep monitors for 6 or 7 years. So no reason not to buy big and replace the GPU later. Basically what I have done. 1440p 144hz is quite the challenge, and while my older games are perfectly happy running at that speed, still a decent performance on newer titles. Like you I don't much bother with compromising on settings these days, don't have the time to bother with it. If it can't do max, I upgrade, if it is important enough.

HDR support is still hit or miss, only the really high end panels do it well.

IPS 144hz is the way to go. Also ultrawides you can look at...

You didn't really state a budget, but the good 144hz 1440p IPS displays are coming down below $500. 1440p 75hz freesync(g-sync compatible) panels are less.

Not a recommendation, but just to demonstrate that you can get a lot of improvement for not too much:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8KyV3C/acer-v277u-270-2560x1440-75-hz-monitor-v277u

Probably where I would start:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/T8JmP6/asus-pb278qv-270-2560x1440-75-hz-monitor-pb278qv

Getting there:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b8...x-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg271u-pbmiipx

Pretty much what I bought for $800 a few years ago, now $450.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pGqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-270-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-vg27aq

What I actually bought for $625

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

Reactions: eli150
Solution

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

HDR support is still hit or miss, only the really high end panels do it well.

IPS 144hz is the way to go. Also ultrawides you can look at...

You didn't really state a budget, but the good 144hz 1440p IPS displays are coming down below $500. 1440p 75hz freesync(g-sync compatible) panels are less.

Not a recommendation, but just to demonstrate that you can get a lot of improvement for not too much:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8KyV3C/acer-v277u-270-2560x1440-75-hz-monitor-v277u

Probably where I would start:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/T8JmP6/asus-pb278qv-270-2560x1440-75-hz-monitor-pb278qv

Getting there:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b8...x-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg271u-pbmiipx

Pretty much what I bought for $800 a few years ago, now $450.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pGqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-270-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-vg27aq

What I actually bought for $625

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

Thank you i appreciate your help.
Do you think the color accuracy will be noticeable if i get a new monitor like you described?
From what i can from using the built in downsample options in some games (and DSR), 1440p doesn't look that much better than 1080p so if i'm getting a new monitor for at least the next 5 years shouldn't i get a 4k monitor? but then i'll probably wont get an IPS panel with low response times.
About higher than 60fps... Even if i do get 70-80fps, does it feel and look better than a locked 60? can i lock the frame rate at 80 for example without getting screen tearing on a screen that supports Gsync\FreeSync?

Sorry for all the questions i am just trying to understand what i should be looking at and how much should i spend. This is one of the monitors i considered buying:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RP...-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-aorus-ad27qd-sa

I guess my budget is 600$+-

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can't really judge 1440p resolution on a monitor that isn't capable of displaying the pixels. DSR basically exists to sharpen up older titles as an alternative to Anti-Aliasing. The whole reason to have the higher resolution is to maintain pixel density at larger monitor sizes. A 27" 1080p monitor doesn't look great, particularly for reading text. The pixels are just too large. 1440p is about right for 27", larger and 4K starts to make sense.

The problem with 4K is that your GPU really can't handle it right now, it would be a poor experience, and running at a lower resolution has similar problems to running DSR. Pixels don't line up so the scalar basically has to do a best attempt to get the image to fit. And planning for the future with 4K, looking at over $1000 to get high refresh, HDR, etc. There are 4K 144hz(120hz) panel's out there. As I mentioned before, many gamers are going for 21:9 monitors 3440x1440 is quite popular, but sitting at about $1000.

Locked 60 FPS, do you mean V-sync? That would get you 60 FPS at all times with no screen tearing as long as your system can always maintain 60 FPS. FreeSync and G-sync allow you to prevent screen tearing at all the reasonable FPS, usually 40FPS-maximum. Basically puts the GPU in control to tell the monitor what its refresh rate is and when to draw a frame. (That does make 4K a viable option, sort of, but G-sync 4K panels aren't cheap)

60->75hz isn't an amazing improvement, but it is something. Should look a little smoother. If you exceed 75hz (disregarding overclocking) you won't be able to use FreeSync or G-Sync. They'll only operate within the monitor's refresh. They'll run faster, but without sync enabled, just like a standard monitor with V-sync off. Monitor will just draw whatever is in the buffer on its cycle.

You can actually set this with G-sync, not sure about FreeSync. If you enable G-Sync and enable V-Sync it will only run within the G-Sync window. If you run with V-Sync off but G-Sync on it will operate up to the monitors refresh, then disengage and allow whatever frame rate your system can deliver. So like 40-144FPS G-Sync on 145FPS and up G-Sync off.

Just comes down to what you want to spend. Gigabyte is new to the monitor market, don't really know a whole lot about them or who's panels they use. Stats seem fine though.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
You can't really judge 1440p resolution on a monitor that isn't capable of displaying the pixels. DSR basically exists to sharpen up older titles as an alternative to Anti-Aliasing. The whole reason to have the higher resolution is to maintain pixel density at larger monitor sizes. A 27" 1080p monitor doesn't look great, particularly for reading text. The pixels are just too large. 1440p is about right for 27", larger and 4K starts to make sense.

The problem with 4K is that your GPU really can't handle it right now, it would be a poor experience, and running at a lower resolution has similar problems to running DSR. Pixels don't line up so the scalar basically has to do a best attempt to get the image to fit. And planning for the future with 4K, looking at over $1000 to get high refresh, HDR, etc. There are 4K 144hz(120hz) panel's out there. As I mentioned before, many gamers are going for 21:9 monitors 3440x1440 is quite popular, but sitting at about $1000.

Locked 60 FPS, do you mean V-sync? That would get you 60 FPS at all times with no screen tearing as long as your system can always maintain 60 FPS. FreeSync and G-sync allow you to prevent screen tearing at all the reasonable FPS, usually 40FPS-maximum. Basically puts the GPU in control to tell the monitor what its refresh rate is and when to draw a frame. (That does make 4K a viable option, sort of, but G-sync 4K panels aren't cheap)

60->75hz isn't an amazing improvement, but it is something. Should look a little smoother. If you exceed 75hz (disregarding overclocking) you won't be able to use FreeSync or G-Sync. They'll only operate within the monitor's refresh. They'll run faster, but without sync enabled, just like a standard monitor with V-sync off. Monitor will just draw whatever is in the buffer on its cycle.

You can actually set this with G-sync, not sure about FreeSync. If you enable G-Sync and enable V-Sync it will only run within the G-Sync window. If you run with V-Sync off but G-Sync on it will operate up to the monitors refresh, then disengage and allow whatever frame rate your system can deliver. So like 40-144FPS G-Sync on 145FPS and up G-Sync off.

Just comes down to what you want to spend. Gigabyte is new to the monitor market, don't really know a whole lot about them or who's panels they use. Stats seem fine though.

Thanks again. I didn't know or think about some of the things you mentioned here.
I guess 4K is a bit too much even for a future gpu i'll eventually get. The reason i was aiming for 4K is because i don't think i care about gaming at higher refresh rates (more than 60). The problem is i cant find a monitor using Gsync/ Freesync, IPS, 1ms at 4K 60hz.

Can i get a monitor like yours, for example, and set it to 60hz? I just want to know the hz modes it has so i can change them for games that are more difficult to run.
I guess i will try higher refresh rates in games like Doom and that's where i want to understand more about Gsync/Freesync. Lets say i can run the game at an average of 80fps but it goes all the way to 100-110 in certain scenes. Can i use sync tech so i wont get any tearing and lock the frame rate to 80 so the fps will be more consistent?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K is not unattainable, just that it will be a few years before mainstream GPUs could handle it at 60hz. Right now it means a $1300 graphics card. You can get away with less thanks to G-sync which will smooth out the performance. So something like a 2080 Super is viable, still $800.

There are many 4K 60hz G-sync panels out there, but the IPS ones are just under $700.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QZwqqs/acer-monitor-umhx1aa002

You can run the monitor at 60hz certainly. You could set a custom resolution for like 80hz on a monitor, but if you are that close, might as well just get a 75hz monitor and run V-sync or Freesync and save the money. Many games also support setting a maximum FPS.

But the point of G-sync or FreeSync is that you generally don't need to bother, there would be no tearing within the operating range. So if it could deliver 110FPS the refresh rate will be 110hz, real time, next second if you can only manage 90FPS it will run at 90hz at that time. The feedback loop is extremely tight, so the end result is quite impressive. Every frame is drawn appropriately at the beginning of a refresh cycle.

Now if you had really wild swings in FPS, then you might want to do something like you suggest.

If you aren't aware, Nvidia has started supported FreeSync through display port, so you don't have to go for the more expensive G-sync monitors. That 75hz ASUS above might be all you need for now. Not terribly expensive and you can always re-sell it later on if some new monitor technology catches your eye in the next few years.

Up and coming would be better HDR support, 12bit panels, OLED panels perhaps, even faster refresh rates. Which should drive the price of 60-120hz panels down a lot.

I see some 1440p 240hz monitors out there, yikes. But most of the focus is on 4K 120hz+ and ultrawide form factor monitors. Most of the early ones were 75hz with a 100hz overclock, now they are making 120hz and 144hz ones.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
4K is not unattainable, just that it will be a few years before mainstream GPUs could handle it at 60hz. Right now it means a $1300 graphics card. You can get away with less thanks to G-sync which will smooth out the performance. So something like a 2080 Super is viable, still $800.

There are many 4K 60hz G-sync panels out there, but the IPS ones are just under $700.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QZwqqs/acer-monitor-umhx1aa002

You can run the monitor at 60hz certainly. You could set a custom resolution for like 80hz on a monitor, but if you are that close, might as well just get a 75hz monitor and run V-sync or Freesync and save the money. Many games also support setting a maximum FPS.

But the point of G-sync or FreeSync is that you generally don't need to bother, there would be no tearing within the operating range. So if it could deliver 110FPS the refresh rate will be 110hz, real time, next second if you can only manage 90FPS it will run at 90hz at that time. The feedback loop is extremely tight, so the end result is quite impressive. Every frame is drawn appropriately at the beginning of a refresh cycle.

Now if you had really wild swings in FPS, then you might want to do something like you suggest.

If you aren't aware, Nvidia has started supported FreeSync through display port, so you don't have to go for the more expensive G-sync monitors. That 75hz ASUS above might be all you need for now. Not terribly expensive and you can always re-sell it later on if some new monitor technology catches your eye in the next few years.

Up and coming would be better HDR support, 12bit panels, OLED panels perhaps, even faster refresh rates. Which should drive the price of 60-120hz panels down a lot.

I see some 1440p 240hz monitors out there, yikes. But most of the focus is on 4K 120hz+ and ultrawide form factor monitors. Most of the early ones were 75hz with a 100hz overclock, now they are making 120hz and 144hz ones.

Dude i'm glad my thread caught your eye :)

Yeah i doubt even the next 70 from Nvidia will manage to do 4k60fps at high settings - RTX 3070 or whatever they end up calling it.

How long do you think will i have to wait for prices to come down a bit? I want to buy a good monitor and i don't mind spending the money, i just want to get the best out of it. I'm actually reading now on a monitor that seems to get a lot of praise.. what do you think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6XPgXL/lg-27gl850-b-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-27gl850-b

Not sure what is different than the model without the "-b" at the end but it looks like this monitor has a lot going for it. Not so expansive i feel bad paying and seems to have everything i need.

Is there any noticeable difference between a Gsync monitor and a FreeSync monitor that is Gsync compatible? In the end of the day i'll probably stick to Nvidia when it comes to gpus. Kind of wanted to get the 5700XT but AMD's drivers are still bad from what i'm hearing

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, became a bit of a monitor aficionado when G-sync was first starting to appear. Though the pace of product release is exceeding my ability to keep up at this point, so not really looked at the LG panels. Took a while for Freesync and G-sync to become more mainstream, as well as 144hz, but now extremely common at 1080p, and there are more monitors than I have time to read. Certainly not going out and buying all of them myself.

Rtings.com has a decent 144hz monitor comparison review, they list all the pros and cons. My old resource TFTcentral hasn't been doing many reviews lately. But they are far more thorough.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-refresh-rate/144hz

I've seen some blind tests done, most people can't tell the difference between freesync and g-sync. Also people have issues telling apart 144hz and up monitors. I'm sure super professional gamers get some minor benefits from 240hz, but I don't see it much. There was a very interesting test done there, with some pro gamers, results were inconclusive at best, really came down to player skill. Also seen a few high speed camera test footage, pretty interesting, but impossible to remove the human factor.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah, became a bit of a monitor aficionado when G-sync was first starting to appear. Though the pace of product release is exceeding my ability to keep up at this point, so not really looked at the LG panels. Took a while for Freesync and G-sync to become more mainstream, as well as 144hz, but now extremely common at 1080p, and there are more monitors than I have time to read. Certainly not going out and buying all of them myself.

Rtings.com has a decent 144hz monitor comparison review, they list all the pros and cons. My old resource TFTcentral hasn't been doing many reviews lately. But they are far more thorough.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-refresh-rate/144hz

I've seen some blind tests done, most people can't tell the difference between freesync and g-sync. Also people have issues telling apart 144hz and up monitors. I'm sure super professional gamers get some minor benefits from 240hz, but I don't see it much. There was a very interesting test done there, with some pro gamers, results were inconclusive at best, really came down to player skill. Also seen a few high speed camera test footage, pretty interesting, but impossible to remove the human factor.

Thanks dude. I really appreciate your help. I'm going to get the LG i mentioned. It looks like its a great monitor for a good price.

I wanted to get a 4K monitor but i realized i'll be giving up on overall monitor quality and not just higher frame rates. The really good 4K monitors are just too expansive right now like you already said.

4K is also too expansive performance wise. Even if i get a next gen gpu that is equivalent to the current champ RTX 2080 ti, i'll probably wont be able to run new games at 4K since other graphics features are going to be more demanding. That gpu cant even pull it off with a lot of games that are out now. If i do replay The Witcher 3 again or something like that, Which i probably will, i'll just DSR to 4K.

Speaking of DSR.. can you recommend on other or better tools for downsampling? have you tried it on your monitor?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I can't say I have ever seen the need to try it. Was flipped on by default once with a driver update. Was weird for a bit until I figured out why everything was smaller.

😅

Well if you didn't see a reason to try it then maybe i wont either. Except for maybe Arkham Knight. That game has really bad aa and looks better running at 30fps anyway.