should i get a new gpu or cpu

DylanIsAVillain

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
im not sure whether or not to get a new cpu or gpu im just looking to play games at like medium settings at 1080p or 768p. im currently thinking of getting a 1050ti or something around that price range.

My specs are: amd a10 7800 3.5ghz
r7 200 graphics
12 gbs of ram
Please help me as i am new to pc gaming with less than a year of experience.

Solution

U can get yourself a intel pentium G4560, a h110m motherboard and radeon 560 4gb edition or the radeon 570... directx 12 games perform better on amd hardware in respect to directx 11 games... u can sell your previous rig and get the money for the processor and motherboard.... and the 560 is a lot cheaper to the 1050ti

Edit: ALthough the 1050ti is quite powerful than the RX 560 or the 570 but they are a lot cheaper than the 1050ti. My recommendation was because i want you to build a relatively balanced budget rig than a rig where there maybe bottlenecks.

DylanIsAVillain

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

do you think a gtx 1050ti would be ok or should i go for an amd gpu?

Well your cpu is really low end and struggles with todays games already. But upgrading the gpu will help. A 1050 ti is a good option however you'll pretty much need a whole new system if you want to keep playing the newest games in the future (except for the gpu then).

DylanIsAVillain

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

yeah im just looking to play games like squad, gta 5 amd maybe just maybe pugb

Pubg is pretty much a no go. Gta 5 is runnable but with fps drops and squad is a game I haven't looked at yet for performance numbers.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Get the GPU for now since that's your budget and then save up and work towards a new ryzen or a Skylake build (don't go kaby lake.) I would recommend ryzen at the moment because Intel has messed up big time and isn't a good choice in the slightest when it comes to upgrade paths right now. We'll see what happens in another generation or two

DylanIsAVillain

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

well thanks for the speedy replies i guess

Although true to a certain extent but kaby lake's budget processors are the best. No one can deny the Intel pentium G4560 is the best price to performance ratio chip and its pretty cheap. I am seeing a particularly huge demand for this processor. Although the ryzen 5 1600x is a very strong competitor and even sometimes better to the i5's and i7's.

Sorry to say, you bought a pc which has little useful upgrades.

You buy a APU for the excellent integrated graphics.
But, there are no real good upgrades, particularly for a gamer.
If you install a superior discrete graphics card, you will have thrown away the big advantage of the APU.
Then, you are left with a relatively weak cpu. Most games depend on only a few fast cores.

Bottom line.....
What you get with a APU is what you will live with forever.

Yes, you could buy a card like the GTX1050ti which is the strongest gaming card that will run on motherboard pcie slot power only.

That is an easy upgrade that can be carried forward to a cpu replacement which will also need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

You can try a couple of tests to verify the cpu issue.
a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

U can get yourself a intel pentium G4560, a h110m motherboard and radeon 560 4gb edition or the radeon 570... directx 12 games perform better on amd hardware in respect to directx 11 games... u can sell your previous rig and get the money for the processor and motherboard.... and the 560 is a lot cheaper to the 1050ti

Edit: ALthough the 1050ti is quite powerful than the RX 560 or the 570 but they are a lot cheaper than the 1050ti. My recommendation was because i want you to build a relatively balanced budget rig than a rig where there maybe bottlenecks.

Solution