Question Should i get a new mobo?

DeathFlows

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
i plan on upgrading my cpu and graphics card real soon. Atm i have a rx 480 4gb and a i5 6600k. I will be swapping both out for a i7 8700k and a gtx 1080 or rtx 2070. I also plan on getting a 700w psu to make sure i have no issue. My main question is that, do i need to replace my mobo to put the i7 or i don't really need to? If anyone wants to know what else is in my build let me know and i'll post it. Also i have a 500w psu atm which is why i wanna upgrade to a 700w psu.

My mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/z170a-sli-plus.html

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes you need to replace the motherboard, the 8xxx series is not compatible with the motherboard the 6xxx series uses. the chipset will not allow it, new motherboard is a must. the best you can do with that motherboard is a 7xxx series CPU after you flash the BIOS to support it. the fastest CPU the motherboard can support is the i7- 7700k and then with the right BIOS installed.
which 700W PSU? total wattage does not a good PSU make.
500W should be sufficient for a single GPU system provided its a quality 500W unit.
what unit were you looking at and what is your budget? you will be spoiled for suggestions.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, need a z370 or z390 for the chipset change to support 8th or 9th gen despite being the same socket.

Which 700w unit are you thinking? I would recommend Evga Supernova G2 or G3, Seasonic Focus plus gold / Prime or Corsair HXi, Rmx or Ax.