[SOLVED] Should I get a new psu?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
So, I have a hkc usp 5580 pfc psu, and I am planning to upgrade my gpu, from a gtx 950 toa gtx 1060 3gb. I used this psu for about a year with the 950 which consumes 90w so I am wondering if I'll be okay with the 1060. Also this model has been released I think in 2009. I have also noticed that sometimes (not always), when I power off my pc I hear a high pitch noise from the psu? What does this mean? My other specs are: i5 4590t 35w, a hdd, an ssd, dvd drive, h81-sm mobo, and 2x4 gb of ram. Will I be okay?

Solution
Well my friend has a 600w chieftec psu with an msi gtx 1060 armor, and an i5 8600k and has it for nearly 7 months now, yet still hasn't ran into any problem? I can get a chieftec or zalman 600w psu for the same price, I might as well go for one of them. Is it ok?

Well, DSzymborski said it. Even the worst quality PSU doesn't have a 100% failure rate but that doesn't make it a good choice. The only thing that is 100% crap is crap itself.

Considering your budget and usage I'd say he named two good PSUs. I'd personally go with the SeaSonic but get either one and you're good to go and REALLY don't get used PSUs.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
It's the one with the grey label that is good quality, one with the green label is bad quality.
It is this one. However I've read that the gray labled one comes as CWT made and Great wall made. And heard that great wall is a bit worse. Btw could it handle a 970. I might even consider that one.
71VLF80I8QL._SL1500_.jpg

The one you have is of good quality, the only reason you'd need a different unit now is if you buy a video card that requires 2 additional power connectors. Stick to the 1060 6 GB, it's your best bet here, or the RX 480 if you can test it before buying(and make sure it only needs one power connector). As mentioned, the GTX 970 is not an option with this PSU.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
The one you have is of good quality, the only reason you'd need a different unit now is if you buy a video card that requires 2 additional power connectors. Stick to the 1060 6 GB, it's your best bet here, or the RX 480 if you can test it before buying(and make sure it only needs one power connector). As mentioned, the GTX 970 is not an option with this PSU.
What if I use a molex to 8 pin? And are buying used amd cards safe?

What if I use a molex to 8 pin? And are buying used amd cards safe?
It's not a great option, using a molex to 6-pin or 8-pin(usually it's 6-pin from 2 molex connectors). It;s usually not recommended for cards that may draw higher amounts of power from the PCI-E connector, because molex connectors are not very reliable in terms of continuous high power draw. Still, if there's no other option and the power draw from the connector is not too high, you can use molex to 6-pin.

Buying any used GPU is safe only as long as the card you are buying can be tested and you can make sure it is not defective and is working at full potential. A simple stress test and/or run of a UserBenchmark test can confirm that for you.