[SOLVED] Should I get a new PSU?

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
I've been thinking of getting all new parts (Motherboard, RAM, CPU, PSU, maybe even GPU) when I've got all the money for it. I've been thinking of getting a PSU before the other parts for cable managing and to get the side glass panel back on my Corsair x570, but I was wondering if its a good idea to get one (Most likely Corsair RM850X) yet because I have been warned that it isn't, just in case the PSU wouldn't be compatible with the motherboard I would be getting. (X470)

It sounds wrong because I doubt that I would be getting any new motherboard like an X570 and even if I would, wouldn't it still work with an RM850x?

Reactions: TECHNOYASH
Solution
just in case the PSU wouldn't be compatible with the motherboard I would be getting.
The PSUs and MB are standardised, so in what way exactly are you worring about compatibility?
If it's an ASUS X470 for example, you only need the 8 Pin CPU connector anyway, which any more modern PSU will have.

What is your current PSU?
CMNDRKizza said:
Corsair x570

It's 570X, BTW.

CMNDRKizza said:
but I was wondering if its a good idea to get one (Most likely Corsair RM850X) yet because I have been warned that it isn't, just in case the PSU wouldn't be compatible with the motherboard I would be getting. (X470)

It sounds wrong because I doubt that I would be getting any new motherboard like an X570 and even if I would, wouldn't it still work with an RM850x?

There's no reason why either of those motherboards would be incompatible with that PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMNDRKizza

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
The PSUs and MB are standardised, so in what way exactly are you worring about compatibility?
If it's an ASUS X470 for example, you only need the 8 Pin CPU connector anyway, which any more modern PSU will have.

What is your current PSU?
I wanted to make sure that what I was told wasn't true. It was told to me by someone who used to work with PCs a long time ago, around the time when AMD Phenom IIs were created. I wasn't really worried but still wanted to ask that question just in case.
I'm currently thinking of getting an X470 Gaming Plus from MSI because I don't think it would be worth getting an expensive X570.

I have no idea what my current PSU is, it's just some grey colored box with so many thick wires that I can't put back the glass side panel on my 570x.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I wanted to make sure that what I was told wasn't true. It was told to me by someone who used to work with PCs a long time ago, around the time when AMD Phenom IIs were created. I wasn't really worried but still wanted to ask that question just in case.
I'm currently thinking of getting an X470 Gaming Plus from MSI because I don't think it would be worth getting an expensive X570.

I have no idea what my current PSU is, it's just some grey colored box with so many thick wires that I can't put back the glass side panel on my 570x.
Just be wary, you want a good quality unit, not just a unit with an overall wattage and the correct cables. Otherwise you risk damaging the rest of your components.
The RM PSU you suggested is a good quality PSU.

Reactions: CMNDRKizza

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Just be wary, you want a good quality unit, not just a unit with an overall wattage and the correct cables. Otherwise you risk damaging the rest of your components.
The RM PSU you suggested is a good quality PSU.
Thank you for the info. Do you think it would be a good idea to get it before the other parts or should I wait until I have all the other parts?

Well.. if you're not in the U.S. and it's not currently on sale, then there's no real reason to buy it right this second when you have no other parts. :D

There are particular times of the year when everything goes on sale, so if you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait until then.

I'm not in sales, but two off the top of my head are back to school and black friday (started as a U.S. thing, but recently has become international).

Prime Day at Amazon is comping up next week! (July 15th). There could be some good deals there!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/a...ng-to-expect-in-the-deals-event-of-the-summer

TRENDING THREADS