Question Should I get a overclock compatible motherboard if i'm not gonna overclock?

ottendorf

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Okay i'm buying the i7 9700k just because its relatively the same price as the 9700 atm and has higher base clock speeds than its non "k" version, but i'm not looking to overclock anytime soon so could I just save some money and buy a cheaper motherboard that doesn't support overclock like the b350m? Not sure if there are any performance drawbacks to getting this or is non overclocking the only difference? Just to note that i'm not really interested in overclocking as I don't feel like it will be necessary for the gaming that I do.

kek986

Prominent
Nov 9, 2019
Okay i'm buying the i7 9700k just because its relatively the same price as the 9700 atm and has higher base clock speeds than its non "k" version, but i'm not looking to overclock anytime soon so could I just save some money and buy a cheaper motherboard that doesn't support overclock like the b350m? Not sure if there are any performance drawbacks to getting this or is non overclocking the only difference? Just to note that i'm not really interested in overclocking as I don't feel like it will be necessary for the gaming that I do.
Yes the b350m board will do fine. there aren't any noticable performance impacts apart from no overclock.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A 9700K and B350 aren't compatible.

Also, the 9700K isn't actually cheaper, because it doesn't come with a cooler.

WildCard999

Titan
If you have zero intentions of overclocking, have a dedicated GPU & prefer Intel then get the 9700F as it should be cheaper then the 9700K/9700. As for the motherboard at the very minimum I'd get the B365 board as they support the 9th gen Intel's right out of the box. Even with a locked i7 you still may want to consider a budget aftermarket cooler as they can run a bit warm and the last thing you want is for it to thermal throttle or overheat but this comes down to your other parts and ambient temp.

Get a board based on features (number and type of ports you want, good ethernet and sound controller, fan control software, etc). Ignore overclock software. If it comes with it, who cares? You would just be ignoring it to get you what you want. Going out of your way to get a board without overclocking abilities often means you lose other good features (no M.2 support, limited USB ports and types, etc).

ottendorf

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
If you have zero intentions of overclocking, have a dedicated GPU & prefer Intel then get the 9700F as it should be cheaper then the 9700K/9700. As for the motherboard at the very minimum I'd get the B365 board as they support the 9th gen Intel's right out of the box. Even with a locked i7 you still may want to consider a budget aftermarket cooler as they can run a bit warm and the last thing you want is for it to thermal throttle or overheat but this comes down to your other parts and ambient temp.
I just want better performance. I have a FX 8350 atm and as we all know it is terrible. I also have a rx 480 gpu and it's not the best but it'll do for now. What would you recommend? It could even be ryzen as long as the performance is there.

WildCard999

Titan
I just want better performance. I have a FX 8350 atm and as we all know it is terrible. I also have a rx 480 gpu and it's not the best but it'll do for now. What would you recommend? It could even be ryzen as long as the performance is there.
Go AMD Ryzen 3600 with a MSI B450 MAX Board (MAX boards support 3rd gen without a BIOS update). This will be a much better price to performance buy over the Intel and the stock cooler works well. Also the 3600 is going to be a massive upgrade over the 8350.