[SOLVED] Should I get a powerline adaptor

yuriaantube101

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
I am sick of wireless adapters at this point and I'm looking into other options. An Ethernet cable isn't practical for me so that's not an option. I was looking into WiFi range extenders when I learned about powerline adapters.

My outlets are about 15-20m apart,
My wiring was completely redone in 2003
I'm in Canada with 500/100 Fibe internet with rogers
I'm looking to spend somewhere in the range of 50$ (CAD) excluding Ethernet cables.

Any suggestions about if its worth it or what I should buy would be very helpful.
If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks

Solution
The distance the outlets are apart may not make any difference if they are on different circuit breakers. The signal must run all the way to the power box and back again.

Still the distance is not the primary issue with powerline devices. It is interference generally from something with a motor. Luckily powerline has gotten much better over the years.

You want to buy powerline units based on av2 specs. Likely with your price restriction you will want av2-600. These perform much better than the older av200 units and the costs are about the same as av500 so there is no reason to ever buy av500.

The key reason you buy powerline is for stable latency. There is no way to predict the transfer speed but don't expect to get...
The distance the outlets are apart may not make any difference if they are on different circuit breakers. The signal must run all the way to the power box and back again.

Still the distance is not the primary issue with powerline devices. It is interference generally from something with a motor. Luckily powerline has gotten much better over the years.

You want to buy powerline units based on av2 specs. Likely with your price restriction you will want av2-600. These perform much better than the older av200 units and the costs are about the same as av500 so there is no reason to ever buy av500.

The key reason you buy powerline is for stable latency. There is no way to predict the transfer speed but don't expect to get much over 200 even with top of the line powerline units. Then again wifi is not much faster unless you sit on top of the router.

Solution

yuriaantube101

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018

The key reason you buy powerline is for stable latency. There is no way to predict the transfer speed but don't expect to get much over 200 even with top of the line powerline units. Then again wifi is not much faster unless you sit on top of the router.
As long as it's stable speed is fine, what speeds should I expect from an av2-600? I'm only really looking for 50 down, What upload speeds can I expect?
Edit: Are TPLINK adapters my best bet?

Last edited:

yuriaantube101

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
You will have to get one and try it out to know for sure what type of results you will see. Like Bill001g has mentioned, powerlines can suffer from interference from other electrical devices. I used to use a powerline and had a great experience with it as it used to be far more reliable than Wi-Fi in my old home, so I'd say if you are having similar issues a powerline is at least worth testing.

I think I've decided on this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza it seems very popular and I can pick it up for cheaper at a local store. Thanks for your help

That model looks to be a decent one. The only thing you should consider, however, is if you may want to add a second powerline later, in which case it might be better to pick a kit that comes with multiple adapters. If you don't think that will happen, then that should work fine for you.