Should I get a second GeForce 9800GT?

Noah_F

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Last year I got a Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 from Dell that came with a GeForce 9800GT. I'm thinking of buying a second 9800GT to run in SLI. I would greatly appreciate some advice--as I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to graphics cards (as my questions will reflect!) :)

What is the easiest way to check that my motherboard is compatible with running graphics cards in SLI?

Will a second 9800GT result in a noticeable performance/graphics increase for upcoming games (e.g., Mass Effect 2).

Does it matter what brand I go with for the second 9800GT (i.e., should it be the same brand/have the same specs as the one that I currently have in my PC, or does that not matter)?

Thanks in advance :)

shubham1401

Distinguished
9800GT SLI will give you similar performance as of GTX 260.
You can search google for GTx 260 benchmarks or 9800GT SLI benchmarks to compare.

For SLI you'll need 2 PCIE slots on your mobo.It will be written in the mobo manual or mobo box that the mobo is SLI compatible or not.

You also have to check your PSU whether it will be enough to power 2 9800GTs or not.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
The easiest way to check SLi compatibility is to run CPU-z and look at the Motherboard tab. It has to be an nVidia chipset to be able to run SLi. Then, you'll have to look at the motherboard and see if it has another PCI-e x16 slot.

Although it won't get you double the performance of one (usually SLi scaling is good, though, like 75-80%), depending on whether or not the game is optimized for it or not.

An identical card is preferable. However, you can go with just about any card, but I would make sure it has about the same clock speeds (the faster one will downclock itself to match the slower one), and with the same type and capacity of RAM.

Also, you need to make sure that your power supply is up to it. Normally OEMs like Dell will put in a power supply that is just barely enough to run what they put in it stock, so check the sticker on the side of it and see what the wattage and amperage is, specifically on the 12v rail.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

if thats so u might as well buy a gtx260 lol

in te UK they are selling it for 100 which is a tad bit expensiver then the 9800gt

Noah_F

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for all of the help so far!

If I go with a single GeForce GTX 260 instead, are there any 'issues' I have to consider?

Namely, does the type of motherboard I have matter? Could my PSU be insufficient for a single GTX 260, or is that more of an issue in SLI?

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
if ure powe supply is over 400watts it will be adequate

it is 500watts u sohuld really worry

my recommendation is getting at least 600.

power insufficiency is NOT a serious problem so dont worry to much.

It will be about the same power requirement for a single GTX260 and two 9800gt in SLI a good 500watt would be enough but 550-650 would be recommended.