should i get a ssd over a hdd?

boomplatinum

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
what would be the reasons to move to a ssd? i always see people saying you need a ssd + 1TB+ hdd but why? a ssd cant copy files to a hdd faster than a hdd to hdd right? load times on games are supposed to be snappy but the only games i play are d3 and sc2 and thats just load times it doesnt actually do anything for your fps unless youre recording right?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
There's no point in getting an SSD by itself, unless you have the money to buy one 500+ gigs. If you can only afford a 128 gig SSD, just get a 1TB 7200RPM hard drive. The Western Digital Caviar Blue is very fast and it's only $50 for the 1TB version. No games need SSD, except for BF4. I know this from personal experience.

SSD's make the OS MUCH faster, but it's not worth one if you only run Windows off it like people with 80 gig SSD's do, because all the shit installed outside of it will be as slow as the hard drive it's in anyways.

nucolos

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
People recommends an ssd + hdd because you usually need the space. And 1 tb ssd's are very expensive. But if you are fine with 256 gb. Get all of it in an ssd. I dont even need 500 gb, so i have 360 gb in ssd's.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

He asking whether to get an SSD by itself or a HDD by itself. That's why I said either get an SSD that's maybe 500gigs or a 1tb hard drive.

USAFRet

Titan

That's not what I read and understood from the original.

Nowadays people usually get a 120GB SSD or 250GB SSD. You store your Operating System on it, your games and your Word and Excel files etc. on it. It will give you very fast loading times and when you change levels on a game it will be much faster. The HDD is to be used for storing movies, music, pictures and other stuff that can be really large. It's all up to you, but people say once you go SSD, you never go back.

boomplatinum

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
move to a ssd from a hdd making the hdd secondary. i have a 160gb hdd and 300gb hdd (this one is my main).
if i purchased a ssd i could fit my games and OS on there which would probably be around 100-110 gb. i could probably end up with more room though if d3, sc2 and heroes of storm dont need to be installed on there. i also have bf3 but i rarely play it on pc but on the other hand i do like to save movies i liked and want to keep on my hdd. by the way is it true that its bad for ssd to be more than half full?