Should I get an A8 7600 or an Intel G3250 with a R7 250X?

SparkPlugBolt

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
I have 16000 Bangladeshi Taka or 200 dollars for the CPU, Motherboard and GPU.

I have two options:

Option A: Go for an AMD A8 7600 for 9500 BDT and FM 2+ motherboard for 5000 BDT. I will add a discrete 8000 BDT graphics card 1 year down the line.

Option B: Go for an Intel G3250 for 4400 BDT and an LGA 1150 motherboard for 4500 BDT and an R7 250 2 GB GDDR5/R7 250X for 7500 BDT.

For prices and availability I am following www.ryanscomputers.com and www.ucc-bd.com.

So which one should I go with? Option A or option B?

My goal is to game AAA titles at 720p at the LOWEST settings for the next 3 years.

Solution
Not much at all, basically the AMD route is not upgrade-proof. So perhaps It's better to go with G3250 + R7 250X and upgrade the CPU to an i3/i5 processor down the road, and also the GPU if necessary.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
I think the G3250 + R7 250X will be the better option. However, have you considered taking a look at the following setup?

CPU: http://www.ryanscomputers.com/AMD-Bulldoze-3437

My problem is, how do you work out which motherboard you are buying from that site? If you want to buy an AMD motherboard then you can't even search for one properly. Like, I went to Components > Mainboards and I couldn't find any AMD motherboard and the search function does not work at all.

I was thinking FX-4300 + 760/970 Chipset AMD motherboard + discrete graphics card is your best option.

SparkPlugBolt

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
@RCFProd:

The search functionality does not work. I had to select the motherboard page and scroll down the pages to choose a motherboard.

The bulldozer option is way out of budget. I just have 16000 BDT to fit the mobo, gpu and cpu.

And the FX 4300 + motherboard + discrete card would definitely go way over 16,000 BDT budget. So thats not an option.

By the way, if I go the A8 7600 route, how upgradable would be the motherboard?

SparkPlugBolt

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Ok. So suppose I go with G3250 and R7 250X. Can this setup play all the AAA games for the next 3 years at 720p lowest settings?

What about games like the Witcher 3, AC Syndicate and similar graphivs intensive games?

SparkPlugBolt

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Yeah I know. The extreme injector. But wouldnt this be a problem for future games? Future games requiring 4 cores will cause trouble on the dual core g3250. Wouldnt it be better to get a amd a8 7600 instead?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
No it wouldn't be as these processors are identical in performance anyways, even though you have 2 cores more with the A8 7600. I mean, if you can live with those rather poor onboard graphics for a full year, perhaps. But for a full year just to have 2 cores that don't perform that much better than a dual core G3250... I don't know.

@SparkPlugBolt, I used to think the same thing, that modern games won't run on dual core CPUs. Turns out that my assumption was wrong. They will indeed run. What I've now heard is that many of them will micro-stutter on CPUs that are dual core and do not have hyper-threading. I was actually planning on getting the Skylake version of the CPU you're considering, Pentium G4400, for a family member. However, I've changed my mind after watching a Live Stream of Jay (JayzTwoCents) when he mentioned that the i3-6100 is a much better buy since it has two physical and two virtual cores. Of course the problem is that the price is twice as much. I'm not suggesting that you buy the i3-6100 (or Haswell version), I'm just giving you my thought process when I was in your same position.

SparkPlugBolt

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
@recald2000

A side question. I have a hard time comparing and matching graphics card, motherboard chipsets and processors. This is especially problematic for amd products which do not have any orgabized information. Are there any website where I can read up things like shader unit, cuda cores, skylake architecture and so on. I need to u derstand the basics before I can compare and match the components.

Great question and my answer is, I'm still learning myself.

For CPU comparisons I use: www.cpu-world.com. Whenever I want to compare two processors, I google search for the name of the first processor, the world "vs" and the name of the second processor (example below).

Google query: pentium 4 521 vs i3-6100
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pentium+4+521+vs+i3-6100

Honestly I take the results on faith and have never independently confirmed the analysis. I haven't yet found a GPU comparison site that I feel comfortable trusting. As far as knowing what CPU's are compatible for a system, I used to simply google search processors that physically fit into a socket. I learned that it is an incomplete approach. What I should have been doing is googling the chipset and then adding the worlds cpu support. e.g.

google search: dell dimension e310 chipset
google result: Intel 915GV

google search: Intel 915GV cpu support
google result: Support Poressors for the Intel Desktop Board D915GAV
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005692.html

Great comparison of Skylake chipsets other than Z170:

Intel's Other Skylake Chipsets: H170, H110 And More
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-100-series-chipsets,29993.html

Sticky thread created by @darkbreeze (located in CPU forum)

AMD FX-series Piledriver CPUs Megathread: Links and FAQ
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2464608/amd-series-piledriver-architecture-cpus-megathread.html