Should I get an i7 4820k or an i7 3770k

Zain Cheema

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
So I sold my i7 3770k for £200. A friend of mine was offering to give me his 4820k, asus sabertooth x79 motherboard and antec 920 kuhler for £220. Should I get the 4820k bundle or get another 3770k for my current 1155 board as I have now read so may times that the 2011 socket is pointless.

Thanks in advance!

Without knowing what the PC will be used for, it's kinda like asking what tool to buy to work on your car.... kinda depends on what you want to do. If this is a gaming box, I can't make a case for X79 / X99 builds unless you have 3 or more GFX cards. As for the 3770k, it's well past end-of-life status, so the new CPU would have to be significantly inexpensive in order to invest in the platform again. I expect there's a 50-50 chance that your MoBo has passed it's warranty period, and if not I'd expect you have about 6 months left.

Still, if the MoBo is sound, it's likely the cheapest option to get up and running again.

Zain Cheema

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
This pc will mainly be used for 3d work in 3ds max and occasional gaming. The 1155 board I have is the first revision of the asus p8p67 so its definitely out of warranty. Is the 4820k bundle not worth it?? It will be run with a 780ti classified.

The 4820k will likely help in 3DS Max but not in gaming.... with one or two cards, X99 / X79 is slightly slower. We have been advising our gaming and CAD users to wait till Z170 settles in and gets to the 2nd or 3rd stepping, and then taking advantage of Black Friday sales some November. In rendering X99 has an edge but it's application specific.

Whether it's worth it again depends on the usage. Is an 8 piece screw driver set worth it ?.... not if your goal is to install replacement spark plugs in your car :)

Gaming is slower on X79
CAD is slower on X79
Rendering is faster on X79

Whether it's worth it depends on the relative amounts of work you do.

Usability aside, I place little value on 3 year old components. If you still see value knowing that these are past end of life, out of warranty and essentially a "dead end" as far as future upgrades, and budget prohibits getting anything current, then that's your only option. You could jump into 6700k and MoBo for around £400