Question Should I get an r9 fury or rx 580?

grasmaaier

Commendable
May 17, 2018
I'm thinking about getting either an r9 fury or rx 580. The fury is used €130,-/$147 and the rx 580 is €140,-/$158 in my country (going for a new RX 580 is unreasonable because it's €210,-/$240) The r9 fury does perform better, but it's also a hotter and older card (though I heard undervolting it can make it drop temps a lot) Power isn't an issue, since I have an 850 watt psu (got it for very cheap when I built this rig) Then there's also the thing where you can put a fury x bios on the fury (haven't read about it that much though because I'm more interested in acoustics then getting every last drop of performance. But for the future this might be a nice option) The reason I'm thinking about upgrading is because my current r9 280x can sometimes feel limited and it gets really loud in games. Also because I'm looking into buying a 144hz pannel. So what do you guys think?

Edit: I basically only play apex legends atm

Last edited:

Moralplacebo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
The 580 will cost you less in the long run since it has a lower tdp. Yes the fury is faster in almost any situation, but not that much faster as to warrant the extra cost over time. I still use a fury x for 1080p and my vive with no issue, but if I was faced with the situation today over which I would take the 580 would win. Not by much, but I would still choose it even over my X variant. If you mainly play Apex Legends, you probably also play or played fortnite then, all you need is a 580 at 1080p. And if you are going to play at a 1440 or 4k you should save up for a better card than either of those.

I'm more interested in acoustics then getting every last drop of performance.

How are Nvidia's cards priced in your area? While AMD may offer better performance for the money, Nvidia's recent cards are more efficient, requiring less power for a given level of performance, which results in less heat, in turn making them easier to cool on a given cooling solution. I do believe the RX 580 performs a bit better than a 1060 6GB in Apex Legends, but in terms of power use, we're comparing a card that draws in the vicinity of 200 watts under load to one that draws just 120 watts, and on average they tend to perform similar across most current titles.

It might even be worth saving up a bit for something faster. Nvidia is in the process of launching a new generation of mid-range cards, and AMD will likely be launching their next generation of mid-range cards within the next several months, so the prices of existing cards may also be dropping further. It might even be worth considering a new card with a fresh warranty if AMD brings more performance to around this price range.

Also worth asking, what are the other specs of your system? It's possible that something else like your CPU could be holding back performance as well.

grasmaaier

Commendable
May 17, 2018
How are Nvidia's cards priced in your area? While AMD may offer better performance for the money, Nvidia's recent cards are more efficient, requiring less power for a given level of performance, which results in less heat, in turn making them easier to cool on a given cooling solution. I do believe the RX 580 performs a bit better than a 1060 6GB in Apex Legends, but in terms of power use, we're comparing a card that draws in the vicinity of 200 watts under load to one that draws just 120 watts, and on average they tend to perform similar across most current titles.

It might even be worth saving up a bit for something faster. Nvidia is in the process of launching a new generation of mid-range cards, and AMD will likely be launching their next generation of mid-range cards within the next several months, so the prices of existing cards may also be dropping further. It might even be worth considering a new card with a fresh warranty if AMD brings more performance to around this price range.

Also worth asking, what are the other specs of your system? It's possible that something else like your CPU could be holding back performance as well.

New NVidia cards are very expensive ($340/€300 for a 1660 ti) and these cards are to new to find a good used deal. The gtx 1060 is used more expensive than a used rx 580 while the 580 offers better performance and more vram, so that choice is a no brainer.

My cpu is a stock ryzen 5 1600
I'm running on 8 gigabytes of ddr4 2400
And I'm running on a hdd (Which I should really upgrade to an ssd soon since I've been getting into Rust a lot lately)