Should I get another 2GB of DDR2

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
I know under XP anything over 2GB was wasting if not impacting your preformance. But now with Vista.....

Would it benifit to go up to 4GB if I install something like Vista ultimate? I hear the OS is just a ram whore.

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I know under XP anything over 2GB was wasting if not impacting your preformance. But now with Vista.....

Would it benifit to go up to 4GB if I install something like Vista ultimate? I hear the OS is just a ram whore.

I have 2GB of PC6400 and my vista runs fine. If you watch the vista monitor and see how much ram it uses it should read about 33% which isnt to bad. For right now i am fine with 2GB but my next system will probably have 4GB in 2-3 years.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Firstly in both operating systems the big question is whether you have the 32 bit or 64 bit installed. If its 32 bit then anything over 3 GB is a waste base dont he inherent limitations of addressable space.

That beign said, I wouldn't say that over 2GB in XP is a waste, it depends on what you run... I ahve applications that take 1.5 GB of memory while their running on XP, it sure doesn't take many more background apps runnign to fill up 2 GB.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Do you NEED to? No.

SHOULD you? Depends.

More RAM can't hurt but you won't see much improvement (if any). I would say wait until RAM prices drop before you grab any more, but if you have piles of cash lying around then by all means go for it.

TRENDING THREADS