Should I get Borderlands 2 or Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition?

HostileSnack

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Planning to buy on Steam.
Borderlands 2 is currently 29.99$
Dark Souls: PTD Edition is 39.99$
I absolutely can't decide which game to buy, which is best in terms of gameplay/value etc..
The games I currently own are

Age of Empires Online
Guildwars 2
Skyrim
Crysis 2
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Team Fortress 2
Garry's Mod
Total War Shogun 2
Terraria
Minecraft
Planetside 2

Solution
Dark Souls has a lot more replay value for my money. I own both games, and Borderlands 2 was a good game and one of the best games of 2012. Dark Souls is one of the best games I've ever played, period.

Personal opinion.

zehnman2

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

If you don't already own it on a console, get BL2. game is awesome. especially if you played BL1

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I am really surprised that so many people like Borderlands 2.. I received a free copy with the GPU I bought and honestly, its pretty boring... I love FPS and currently play:

- Crysis 2
- Metro 2033
- Quake Live

I don't know.. Borderlands 2 just didn't do it for me! (maybe not playing the first one is the reason??)

Shade151

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Such different games.... I'd say: are you in the mood to use your wired xbox controller for the PC, or a mouse?

I am an avid gamer, and as such I have a backlog of games to play, as well as a few to replay. And much of the time what I play and for how long boils down to interface options. After a week or 2 of DMC-ish button mashing gameplay on the 360 controller, I tend to need a game with a mouse interface that I can play left-handed for a week. (and visa-versa week or 2 of Diablo 3 on the mouse, and I'll need a week of the controller.)

If you played BL1 and liked it, BL2 will not disappoint. If you need some hardcore fantasy action Dark Souls is up your ally, but you will NEED an xbox 360 wired controller for PC.

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I enjoyed playing both BL1 and BL2, still play BL2.
But i gotta say, the 120+ hours i've spent playing Dark Souls were -Awesome-
It's 2 very different games though, Shoot&Loot vs a Dark and addictive RPG.

axleh93

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
It depends, if you want a fun casual experience get Borderlands 2. If you have a bit of a masochist side get Dark Souls 2, because it's one of those games you will only get satisfaction out of if you enjoy learning how to play a game by dying. Often.

axleh93

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
It depends, if you want a fun casual experience get Borderlands 2. If you have a bit of a masochist side get Dark Souls 2, because it's one of those games you will only get satisfaction out of if you enjoy learning how to play a game by dying. Often.

SHORYUKEN

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I'd say Borderlands 2. I have 200+ hours on it on Steam and it was worth it. Although, now I really don't wanna play it until the DLC comes out. If you want to have a lot of fun, BL2. If you want a difficult challenge, Dark Souls. I have both games and can honestly recommend Borderlands 2 over Dark Souls.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Dark Souls has a lot more replay value for my money. I own both games, and Borderlands 2 was a good game and one of the best games of 2012. Dark Souls is one of the best games I've ever played, period.

Personal opinion.

Solution

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The port alone is one of the worst PC ports ever. The developer had zero experience with PC ports and they warned consumers beforehand that the port would be a direct translation of the console version. They only released this game on PC because there was a 100,000 signature petition begging them to bring the game to PC. It was originally developed as a console exclusive.

Sounds bad right? Enter DSFix.

Within a day of the game releasing, a member of NeoGAF had developed a very easy to use program that fixed almost all of the issues with the port. It increases the internal resolution to whatever you want, it can use various forms of anti-aliasing, it can change the Depth of Field resolution, it can unlock the framelock from 30fps to 60fps without changing the speed of the game, and much much more.

Now, you still have the issue of a controller. The game plays great with a controller. That is true.

Now, enter Dark Souls Nexus. A developer on this website created a "mousefix" which fixes the issues with the mouse control in game and makes the game equally playable with Keyboard & Mouse for people who prefer that.

So, the final verdict is this. Dark Souls + 2 small downloads = a worthy PC version of the game. Also worth noting is that the VERY robust DLC was actually included for free with the PC version, and the PC version was still sold for $20.00 less than the basic console version without the DLC. To me, this more than made up for the minor inconvenience of installing this very simple DSFix to make the game look like a modern perfect PC port.

Below is a comparison screenshot of unmodded Dark Souls, and then Dark Souls with the DSFix. See for yourself:

1024x720xozqm.png

6400x3600ultrasmaa91yg1.png

Dark Souls was the best pc game that i played last year, in spite of the port, with the dsfix it made it playable and gorgeous, and at least it was challenging(which is lacking in most recent games).
Borderlands 2 was also good, and for that price it makes it more appealing.