Should I get Coffee Lake or wait for Whiskey Lake?

Nihren

Distinguished
May 19, 2016
I've been in the process of planning an overhaul of my desktop for over a year now and I finally have the money saved up to buy everything except the GPU(Was going to get a 1080 Ti, but the price spike stopped me and now Turing is on the horizon.) and a decent G-Sync monitor. The only thing really stopping me from buying all the parts right now, aside from also wanting to get a new TV, is the question of whether or not I should get Coffee Lake, meaning I could upgrade right now, or wait for Whiskey Lake and upgrade later this year. As rumors go, the new I7 will supposedly have 8 cores compared to the i7-8700k's 6 cores. I'm not really sure how much of a difference that'll make when my computers main use is gaming, but more cores is always a good thing. However, even the 8700k is a significant upgrade over my current 5 year old i7-3770.

So does anyone think it would be worth waiting for the new chips?

Solution
Even an 8600k overclocked is enough to max out most if not all games on a 1440p 144Hz Panel. So go 8700k if you want the best of the best, and if you are using apps that can utilize multiple threads (Video Editing, Streaming etc). Most games don't utilize more than 4 cores at most, that is the reason why an 8600k can max out all the games. Get an 8700k, no need to wait for The next gen. Also, if your main focus is gaming, consider getting an 8600k and spend the saved money on a better GPU.

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Even an 8600k overclocked is enough to max out most if not all games on a 1440p 144Hz Panel. So go 8700k if you want the best of the best, and if you are using apps that can utilize multiple threads (Video Editing, Streaming etc). Most games don't utilize more than 4 cores at most, that is the reason why an 8600k can max out all the games. Get an 8700k, no need to wait for The next gen. Also, if your main focus is gaming, consider getting an 8600k and spend the saved money on a better GPU.

Solution

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

If you're going to wait, wait until 2019, when intel's 10nm will (hopefully) be released. If not just go for coffee lake.