[SOLVED] Should I get? For the future? 10Gbps?

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hi,

So, there are retail NIC's that can support 10Gbps and there is one in particular that I would like to get. It is THIS NIC. Any other better suggestion would be much appreciated.

I only do have 1Gbps Internet speeds, but I could use this for like a home cloud network of some-sort like a NAS or whatever.

With my enthusiast mindset, would it be okay to get? Are there any benefits, even if small?

EDIT: I do have a CAT8 ethernet cable, so there's that. Also question, should I even have a CAT8 on a 1Gbps Internet? Would it cause some issues like packet loss or no because it has enough bandwidth room? THIS is my ethernet cable.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

So, there are retail NIC's that can support 10Gbps and there is one in particular that I would like to get. It is THIS NIC. Any other better suggestion would be much appreciated.

I only do have 1Gbps Internet speeds, but I could use this for like a home cloud network of some-sort like a NAS or whatever.

With my enthusiast mindset, would it be okay to get? Are there any benefits, even if small?

EDIT: I do have a CAT8 ethernet cable, so there's that. Also question, should I even have a CAT8 on a 1Gbps Internet? Would it cause some issues like packet loss or no because it has enough bandwidth room? THIS is my ethernet cable.
Buying a 10GE card is like buying a Raptor F-150. Yes it will go fast. BUT the rest...

USAFRet

Titan
All devices in the chain would need to be capable of that.
The NAS, cables, all client systems, etc, etc.

How much data do actually plan on moving around?

Testing just now, on a standard gigabit LAN, moving a 10GB movie from my NAS to a PC is about 90 seconds.
NQ9ZxoO.jpg

Redoing my whole infrastructure to make that 'faster'? Not for me...

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
All devices in the chain would need to be capable of that.
The NAS, cables, all client systems, etc, etc.

How much data do actually plan on moving around?

Testing just now, on a standard gigabit LAN, moving a 10GB movie from my NAS to a PC is about 90 seconds.
NQ9ZxoO.jpg

Redoing my whole infrastructure to make that 'faster'? Not for me...
I mean it could be useful to download games and keep them instead of always reinstalling them when a much needed reset of Windows comes into play or if when a new computer arrives that someone may want to play games on. Most games are big these days. The NIC I listed can be somewhat expensive, but I'm sure with the NAS and other clients, it would be less in that perspective.

I kind of just want to see how consistent it could perform instead of the usual 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps LAN ports I have on this mobo. I know it won't make things faster now, but I'm sure it could be useful in the future.

USAFRet

Titan
I mean it could be useful to download games and keep them instead of always reinstalling them when a much needed reset of Windows comes into play or if when a new computer arrives that someone may want to play games on. Most games are big these days. The NIC I listed can be somewhat expensive, but I'm sure with the NAS and other clients, it would be less in that perspective.

I kind of just want to see how consistent it could perform instead of the usual 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps LAN ports I have on this mobo. I know it won't make things faster now, but I'm sure it could be useful in the future.
Downloading games and keeping them is size, not speed.

And unless you've dedicated a lot of SSD drive space, a 10GBe LAN may be crippled if reading/writing with an HDD in the NAS.

A couple years ago, I had to resurrect the backed up contents of a 1TB SSD.
Image was stored on the NAS, 605GB.
Full drive Image from Macrium Reflect.

Took about an hour to write that out to a new replacement SSD.
Would a faster LAN have made that transfer faster? Maybe. But..meh.
The frequency to do that amount of data is so rare, not worth the whole LAN reconfigure.

YMMV.

What you need to first do is go read some of the reports on disk transfer speeds. You will find that many of lower end devices have trouble even transfering at 1gbit. This is a very messy and complex topic because it depends on the file size and things like how fragmented the data is. The more you read the more you will see
the network tends to no be the bottleneck.

To get really fast results you would need SSD on both ends. But even SSD you have to be careful because they have very different rates when they are writing to a ram buffer and say writing to the actual storage.

This is one of those things that you have to spend big money on all the parts and if you cheap out on even 1 part you cut your performance. 10G nic is the cheapest part of the system.

So you really have to think about does saving a few second or maybe a minute or two using 10gbit over 1gbit really justify spending the money and time setting up a fancy network. It is mostly bragging rights when you have it in your house, there is almost no application that can really use that kind of bandwidth. More it would be used for some large website.

Almost all so called cat8 cable you find for sale to end users is fake. You tend to have to buy it from a special shop and you are going to pay many times the cost of even cat6a. In this case they clearly state the wire size is 26awg. For other types of ethernet cables the wire size must be 22-24. There is a allowance to use 26 for short patch cables. 50ft is well over that limit. Cat8 cable is 22awg. Not sure if that is required by the standard or if that is what the vendors sell.

They also pretend that a fluke test makes it meet the standards. The testing is actually more complex that the one they show. They also only test a short cable.

So if that cable works at 1gbit be happy it technically does not meet the requirements even for that.

If you decide to go 10gbit stuff buy cat6a cable. It is much more likely that you will find real cables. If it really cheap you need to suspect it as fake.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Buying a 10GE card is like buying a Raptor F-150. Yes it will go fast. BUT the rest of the infrastructure has to allow that. Living in Montana (full 10GE devices in your local network) you can benefit. Living in New York City (a single 10GE device) it doesn't benefit you.
Either way you get to boast to your friends that you have this capability (Raptor or 10GE). Is that worth the cost? Only you can answer that. Will that capability (used Raptor or 10GE) be cheaper in the future? Probably.

Solution

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Buying a 10GE card is like buying a Raptor F-150. Yes it will go fast. BUT the rest of the infrastructure has to allow that. Living in Montana (full 10GE devices in your local network) you can benefit. Living in New York City (a single 10GE device) it doesn't benefit you.
Either way you get to boast to your friends that you have this capability (Raptor or 10GE). Is that worth the cost? Only you can answer that. Will that capability (used Raptor or 10GE) be cheaper in the future? Probably.
This is kind of the answer I was looking for. Thanks a ton for making it simple.

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
What you need to first do is go read some of the reports on disk transfer speeds. You will find that many of lower end devices have trouble even transfering at 1gbit. This is a very messy and complex topic because it depends on the file size and things like how fragmented the data is. The more you read the more you will see
the network tends to no be the bottleneck.

To get really fast results you would need SSD on both ends. But even SSD you have to be careful because they have very different rates when they are writing to a ram buffer and say writing to the actual storage.

This is one of those things that you have to spend big money on all the parts and if you cheap out on even 1 part you cut your performance. 10G nic is the cheapest part of the system.

So you really have to think about does saving a few second or maybe a minute or two using 10gbit over 1gbit really justify spending the money and time setting up a fancy network. It is mostly bragging rights when you have it in your house, there is almost no application that can really use that kind of bandwidth. More it would be used for some large website.

Almost all so called cat8 cable you find for sale to end users is fake. You tend to have to buy it from a special shop and you are going to pay many times the cost of even cat6a. In this case they clearly state the wire size is 26awg. For other types of ethernet cables the wire size must be 22-24. There is a allowance to use 26 for short patch cables. 50ft is well over that limit. Cat8 cable is 22awg. Not sure if that is required by the standard or if that is what the vendors sell.

They also pretend that a fluke test makes it meet the standards. The testing is actually more complex that the one they show. They also only test a short cable.

So if that cable works at 1gbit be happy it technically does not meet the requirements even for that.

If you decide to go 10gbit stuff buy cat6a cable. It is much more likely that you will find real cables. If it really cheap you need to suspect it as fake.
Good info. I don't have issues with storage devices, those will be fine. The only issue(s) I am looking are the Ethernet cable(s) and if it is even worth doing so.

However, it so far seems like it can be beneficial with the correct equipment. So, I will go ahead and get it.