peachyoana

Prominent
Feb 22, 2020
I posted in a facebook group in which i asked questions about the CPU, watercooling vs air cooling and the SSD and the HDD incompatibility issue that came up. However about the CPU they all told me to get Ryzen instead of intel and directed me to this website. So if you guys could give me some opinions and information on whether getting a Ryzen CPU will be a better choice I will be very grateful! The PC is gonna be used for programming, gaming(powerful games mainly), streaming, videoing, editing, photoshopping, occasionally 3D CAD.
*obviously here I’m only asking about the CPU so disregard all the other nonsense

Here’s the link to the configuration:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DMyXV7

Solution
I posted in a facebook group in which i asked questions about the CPU, watercooling vs air cooling and the SSD and the HDD incompatibility issue that came up. However about the CPU they all told me to get Ryzen instead of intel and directed me to this website. So if you guys could give me some opinions and information on whether getting a Ryzen CPU will be a better choice I will be very grateful! The PC is gonna be used for programming, gaming(powerful games mainly), streaming, videoing, editing, photoshopping, occasionally 3D CAD.
*obviously here I’m only asking about the CPU so disregard all the other nonsense

Since you're saying you would be...

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

Since you're saying you would be using the PC for video editing and stuff, I would suggest to go with Ryzen as it's the best out there for editing at a lower price. If you care to have a few extra FPS in gaming and wouldn't mind a little more editing time over Ryzen then go with Intel.

Reactions: peachyoana
Solution

peachyoana

Prominent
Feb 22, 2020
Since you're saying you would be using the PC for video editing and stuff, I would suggest to go with Ryzen as it's the best out there for editing at a lower price. If you care to have a few extra FPS in gaming and wouldn't mind a little more editing time over Ryzen then go with Intel.
Okay thank you!! I don’t feel like i’d be using the PC as much for editing compared to gaming so that was useful:)

Reactions: Ravz

To add to this as even for gaming the 9700k is only better for high FPS circumstances. So we have to look at the full setup including monitor. Do you have a high Hz monitor,144Hz or above. If no then any extra performance from a 9700k is pointless.

Let’s assume you have a high Hz monitor. Then at 1080p with a strong enough gpu there can be better FPS you can utilise with a high Hz monitor. As you go up in resolution though the cpu becomes less important as the gpu is the limiting factor. At 1440p even with a very strong gpu like the 2080Ti any advantage the 9700k is minimal, to the point it doesn’t matter.

If you are gaming at 4K it would make no difference what cpu you use. No gpu is strong enough at 4K to utilise the extra frames a 9700k has the potential to deliver.

Even at 1080p the difference is not huge. I personally looked at both 9700k and 3700X and went with the 3700X and 2080 Super. I game at 1440p 144Hz and it’s excellent and the gpu is the limiting factor and not the cpu.

What kinds of games do you play?

If you favor multiplayer games with many participants, then ryzen with many cheap cores will be best.

For fast action games, the graphics card becomes all important.

For sims, strategy and MMO types, the cpu clock speed becomes more important.
9700K will generally reach a clock of 5.0 while the x suffix ryzen processors are perhaps 4.5
The 8 cores of 9700K will be plenty for these types of games.

Regardless, you will not be disappointed with either processor choice.

To add a possible gum up to the decision, intel has upcoming processors in the april time frame that may do 5.3

Ryzen. Have a 3600 that costs less than 200 bucks. Running a gtx 1660 super with a 1080p 144hz monitor. So far especially if I turn things to high (probably more due to my 1660 super), I run battlefield 5 for example very smoothly. No complaints. I say get a 3700x or even a 3600x. New CPUs should release in the next year and you'll probably be able to upgrade to a next gen ryzen CPU at that time if you want. Intel isn't quite as friendly to doing those things.

Note, I did have a 1700x and a b350 board, did bios update on my motherboard, and the 3600 was able to drop in and work.

TRENDING THREADS