[SOLVED] Should I get MORE Ram?

Sep 28, 2021
Hey, I'm kinda new to PC building and I was wondering what the "normal" or "appropriate" amount of RAM capacity is?

My build has a
Ryzen 5600x
GTX 3070
and I'm considering 16gb of 3600 CL18 Ram.

Would going for 32gb or more be overkill?

Thanks in advance ^^

Solution
That depends on what you wanna do with the machine. If you are just gaming or streaming, then 16gb is sufficient. If you want to do more than that like productivity with large files like editing or modelling or want to run multiple VM or multitask with multiple games or streaming then you should go for 32gb.
If it's only for gaming I don't see why 16 won't be enough (for now... but until there is time for 32 to become standard you might change your build and with that DDR5)

If you can find something with better timings should be even better... something like 3600 CL16

That depends on what you wanna do with the machine. If you are just gaming or streaming, then 16gb is sufficient. If you want to do more than that like productivity with large files like editing or modelling or want to run multiple VM or multitask with multiple games or streaming then you should go for 32gb.

Solution
Your Ryzen 5 5600X officially supports up to 3200Mhz so choose a single kit of RAM the size you need at a frequency the MB and CPU support and chosen from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

16GB (2x8) is what you need for AAA gaming and multitasking.
Should you consider or intend to Render 3D surfacing or processing large Video files then consider 32GB as a (16x2) kit.

There will be no guarantee that a rated frequency of 3600Mhz will be achieved as that will depend on the strength of the IMC on your chip.
3600Mhz is an Overclock and not simple Plug and Play. Simple profiles such as XMP or D.O.C.P may not work and manual Bios tweaking may be required for Timings and Dram voltage.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
For future reference it is RTX 3070 or is it gtx 1070?

Anyway, 16 for gaming si enought, yes how it was said if do more then gaming then yes 32 or 64 should be a minimum, i work with 3d modeling and unreal engine 5 adn also cuda programing on 32gb images so 64gb is a must for me, i would need 128gb but for now 64 gb is ok.
Oh yeah sorry, I meant RTX 3070 LHR

Sep 28, 2021
You got a nice videocard there, you should be more then fine, maybe when you change the system with ddr5 or in 2-3 years add 16gb more
Thanks ^^ I got lucky and I got it at MSRP as soon as LHR cards launched in Korea (where I live)
Yeah, I think I just got a bit impatient by wanting to just put in 4 sticks of RAM into my system when it's unnecessary ^^" but definitely for my next upgrade though.

Thanks ^^ I got lucky and I got it at MSRP as soon as LHR cards launched in Korea (where I live)
Yeah, I think I just got a bit impatient by wanting to just put in 4 sticks of RAM into my system when it's unnecessary ^^" but definitely for my next upgrade though.
Actually the modern Intel and AMD consumer desktop platforms are dual channel so its always optimal to run dual channel on a dual channel board.