Should I get one or two?

matt.themcgee

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
So I'm planning a 4k gaming station and am gonna get either a 8700K or a 8086K. I plan on waiting for the 1180 before I build. I was wondering if just one would be plenty or if I would want two to run in SLI (I am new to pc building).

Solution
Depends on what kind of 4k gaming you want to do. You can always upgrade to a second 1180 down the line. SLI is really dying out. If you're doing basic 4k 60FPS gaming, the 1180 SHOULD (we don't know its performance specs yet, that stuff will be out in August iirc) be fine.

But if you plan on doing some REALLY intensive gaming, then I'd advise holding out for the 1180 Ti (comes out a bit later, a LOT better value vs 2 1180's). Also, side note: Don't go for the 8086k. You're paying for marketing a small bump to base clocks, plus a bit more OC'ing stability. That's about it.
Depends on what kind of 4k gaming you want to do. You can always upgrade to a second 1180 down the line. SLI is really dying out. If you're doing basic 4k 60FPS gaming, the 1180 SHOULD (we don't know its performance specs yet, that stuff will be out in August iirc) be fine.

But if you plan on doing some REALLY intensive gaming, then I'd advise holding out for the 1180 Ti (comes out a bit later, a LOT better value vs 2 1180's). Also, side note: Don't go for the 8086k. You're paying for marketing a small bump to base clocks, plus a bit more OC'ing stability. That's about it.

Solution