[SOLVED] Should I get rid of my unbranded motherboard or poor PSU first?

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Hello, everyone. 2 months ago I built a new PC and I was not that experienced with parts. Now I've realized how bad this PSU and MB is. The motherboard is an unbranded H81 chipset motherboard and the PSU is Leigu 550 500W. I have no link for the MB but here is a link for the PSU: http://www.tspk.net/product/28.html

Also, my processor is a Xeon E3-1245 V3 that can reach up to 125W power consumption. Should I get Z chipset MB or H chipset MB for this CPU?

I currently have budget to get rid of one of them.

Update: Found the manufacturer of the motherboard: https://linkoncept.en.alibaba.com/p...html?spm=a2700.shop_index.89.6.56d414631rxLi1

Last edited:
Solution
What issues are you having with the PC? That should dictate what you replace on it.

In general I would say a good branded motherboard is more important than a high quality PSU. Since you’re running old hardware and don’t mention a GPU, your PSU probably isn’t being taxed and will likely be completely fine.

In an nutshell:

If you want to add a GPU then you would need to upgrade PSU first.

If you’re having system crashes and stability issues a lot, then you would need to upgrade motherboard first.

If neither things are true, then stick with what you have and save up for a completely new system.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
What issues are you having with the PC? That should dictate what you replace on it.

In general I would say a good branded motherboard is more important than a high quality PSU. Since you’re running old hardware and don’t mention a GPU, your PSU probably isn’t being taxed and will likely be completely fine.

In an nutshell:

If you’re having system crashes and stability issues a lot, then you would need to upgrade motherboard first.

If neither things are true, then stick with what you have and save up for a completely new system.

Solution

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021

In an nutshell:

I've forgot to mention one thing. I've seen someone say here that poor quality power supplies can shorten the lifespan of other components. Is this true?