Question Should i get rtx 2060 + ryzen 5 2600 or gtx 1660ti + i5-9400f?

For that refresh rate and resolution both the 1660ti and especially 2060 are overkill
I would kind of disagree, especially they want to run the most demanding AAA games at high graphics settings, and plan to continue using the same card for a few years. Already there are some games that can dip below 60fps at times with these cards at 1080p resolution with max graphics settings enabled. And if one wants to enable raytraced lighting effects in the few games that support them so far, they will generally be looking at a below-60fps experience even with an RTX 2060 at 1080p. Anything less than that will tend to drop below 30fps with those effects enabled.

Certainly one can get away with a less powerful card at 1080p if they are okay with lowering graphics settings a bit in some of the latest games, but there is room to benefit from that added performance. It's also very possible that games may become more demanding after the next generation of consoles come out, which are likely slated for release next year.

As for the initial question, I agree that I would rather have the RTX 2060 with a Ryzen 2600. The graphics card will tend to have more of an effect on gaming performance than the CPU in most titles, and the per-core performance of the Intel part is only slightly better, especially if the Ryzen part has been overclocked a bit. The 2600 has SMT as well, making it the more capable proocessor at heavily-multithreaded tasks, even if that doesn't apply to the vast majority of existing games. Either way, unless one is gaming on a high refresh rate screen with high-end graphics hardware to back it up, they likely won't notice a performance difference between these processors.

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Yea i am inclined to agree with you now. I still think a rtx 2060 is a bit much for 1080p. But the 1660ti would be perfect for it since even a 1660ti runs all todays triple A games on 60+fps and the term futureproof is non existent in my opinion,best futureproofing is money saved in your pocket for a future upgrade or smt. But on this question i would go for sure R5+2060,but consider bumping the 2060 down to a 1660ti plus the ryzen it will save you a extra 30-40$ i would do that if i were buying.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If I were making the choice currently, I'd mix-and-match them, if it were possible, and go with GTX 1660Ti and Ryzen R5 2600, saving some money over the RTX 2060.

If mixing and matching isn't possible, I'd go with the Ryzen system, then. Assuming both systems are about the same price.