[SOLVED] Should I get the ASRock 5700XT Challenger with no refund policy?

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
So I was hoping to get a 5700XT this Black Friday. Unfortunately, there aren't many good deals on it and Newegg's Black Friday sale is just underwhelming. The only decent deal is the ASRock Challenger model that's 350 after a rebate card. The only issue is that it's not refundable. My plan was to get this one while it's on sale, and maybe return it if a better model got on sale, preferably the Sapphire Pulse, which is the one I originally wanted. But if it's not refundable, I don't know if it's worth to invest in it, especially because this card doesn't really have any reputation. The price is just really good and I don't think any other XTs are gonna go on sale like this one. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
No no not that one, lol. That card has been ripped apart by Hardware Unboxed for it's poor temps, which is worse than the blower cards.

Good clarification, I hadn't seen reviews on it. Just skimmed HWUnboxed review of it, and those are some pretty atrocious GDDR6 temperatures, and the performance is pretty 'meh' too. I'm sure he commented on noise levels too, although I didn't see it - hopefully it's at least quiet?

To be clear I was only using it as an example of a ~$390 class card.

Then buy something like

Same would apply for the Thicc II, RAW II etc, anything in that ballpark (obviously research a specific model before buying).

On the low-end (<$390), they all seem to have one problem or another, so I'd...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are GPU's ever refundable? As in "I don't like this, I want my money back" refundable?

AFAIK, you could return for credit - which you could put towards another GPU, but I would assume the GPU would have to be unopened, in the box and
  • you won't be able to apply for the mail in rebate (as you need to provide the physical barcode from the box)
  • You won't be able to redeem the free game or pass (as tied to the hardware)
  • You'd have to go through the hassle of reaching out to NewEgg, sending the card back (likely at your expense) and hope you don't get charged a restocking fee.
So, in the 'perfect' situation, you spend $370+Tax and don't get charged a restocking fee.... So you have $370+Tax in credits?

In the worst-case, you spend $370+Tax and get hit with a 15% restocking fee. You now have $315+Tax in credits...

I'm all for getting a good deal... but that just seems too risky to (maybe) save ~$20.
The rebate is valid through Dec 2/19, so there's really no rush?

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Are GPU's ever refundable? As in "I don't like this, I want my money back" refundable?

AFAIK, you could return for credit - which you could put towards another GPU, but I would assume the GPU would have to be unopened, in the box and
  • you won't be able to apply for the mail in rebate (as you need to provide the physical barcode from the box)
  • You won't be able to redeem the free game or pass (as tied to the hardware)
  • You'd have to go through the hassle of reaching out to NewEgg, sending the card back (likely at your expense) and hope you don't get charged a restocking fee.
So, in the 'perfect' situation, you spend $370+Tax and don't get charged a restocking fee.... So you have $370+Tax in credits?

In the worst-case, you spend $370+Tax and get hit with a 15% restocking fee. You now have $315+Tax in credits...

I'm all for getting a good deal... but that just seems too risky to (maybe) save ~$20.
The rebate is valid through Dec 2/19, so there's really no rush?
Dang, I really didn't think that through huh. So I'll just wait until the end of the Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals to see if any better ones pop up. And even if this deal expires, I think I would be more comfortable spending an extra 30 or 40 dollars to get a Pulse or PowerColor card anyway.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Dang, I really didn't think that through huh. So I'll just wait until the end of the Cyber Monday and Black Friday deals to see if any better ones pop up. And even if this deal expires, I think I would be more comfortable spending an extra 30 or 40 dollars to get a Pulse or PowerColor card anyway.

In the rush for deals around BF/CM, it can sometimes help to take a step back and sanity check.

While rebates are nice, they're not a BF/CM exclusive, lots of rebates are available any day of the year. I'm not a huge fan of cutting out the UPC and sending it to the manufacturer for the sake of $20 or whatever (that you'll wait an eternity for).

Not saying it's the case, but think about it.... If you were a retailer and had $X you could drop on your products overall and still make money, are you more likely to apply a discount to a desirable product that's flying off the shelf regularly.... Or to a less 'in demand' model, to move inventory?

Also, as a note... If you're not looking for the free game bundle with the 5700XT (if you won't play them or already own them, they're worthless as you can't sell them), then you could buy an Amazon gift card right now (>$50) and get a bonus $15.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-discount-code-extra-money-for-buying-gift-card-2019-8

Then buy something like an ASUS Tuf 5700XT for about $375 (after you factor in the bonus $15).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XV8Z9JM?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
No no not that one, lol. That card has been ripped apart by Hardware Unboxed for it's poor temps, which is worse than the blower cards.
Yeah, I looked at that card before and apparently it's pretty inconsistent. But the Amazon gift card is a good idea, I just have to make another account since the one I use now isn't eligible for the promotion. So hopefully there will be a discount on a PowerColor or Pulse card and then I can use the gift card deal too.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Good clarification, I hadn't seen reviews on it. Just skimmed HWUnboxed review of it, and those are some pretty atrocious GDDR6 temperatures, and the performance is pretty 'meh' too. I'm sure he commented on noise levels too, although I didn't see it - hopefully it's at least quiet?

To be clear I was only using it as an example of a ~$390 class card.

Then buy something like

Same would apply for the Thicc II, RAW II etc, anything in that ballpark (obviously research a specific model before buying).

On the low-end (<$390), they all seem to have one problem or another, so I'd expect the ASRock offering to have something wrong with it too. Ultimately, if you're shooting for a 5700XT in the ~$350 range when all said & done, there's going to be a tradeoff something.

I hear MSI fixed the Mech OC, but it runs ~$420

Solution

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Good clarification, I hadn't seen reviews on it, I was only using it as an example of a ~$390 class card.

On the low-end (<$390), they all seem to have one problem or another, so I'd expect the ASRock offering to have something wrong with it too. Ultimately, if you're shooting for a 5700XT in the ~$350 range when all said & done, there's going to be a tradeoff something.

I hear MSI fixed the Mech OC, but it runs ~$420
Yeah that's why I'm having so much trouble finding a good one for sub 400. So I guess right now, it really all depends on if the higher end cards go on sale for even at least around 400.